Thread: [karmic] New Vostro 230 Ethernet Card Not Showing

Beans

Question [karmic] New Vostro 230 Ethernet Card Not Showing

EDIT: Turns out the Vtune online docs were outdated, it now supports 10.04. I installed 10.04 and the ethernet worked properly.

Hey all,

Essentially, the ethernet card does not show at all on my brand new Vostro 230. I installed 10.10 and the card showed up and worked perfectly, but unfortunately I need to run Intel Vtune for some research, and it only supports up to 9.10 so that is the version I have installed. This is a intel core 2 quad, so I am running 9.10 desktop amd64.

Based off of this thread it seems that I need to build/install the bcm5700 driver module. I have been doing my best to do this, but without internet it's been pretty tough. I am hoping someone can help me bumble through this

What I know:

uname -r
    Code:
    2.6.31-14-generic
    ifconfig -a
    Code:
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:240 (240.0 B)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 B)

sudo lshw -C network
    Code:
      *-network UNCLAIMED     
           description: Ethernet controller
           product: NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           version: 01
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:febf0000-febfffff

lspci -nn
    Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1691] (rev 01)
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    What I have tried:

Downloaded the bcm5700 source from here (tar.gz)

Downloaded module-assistant source from here (tar.gz)

Transferred them to the computer

Tried to build module-assistant by entering the directory and doing
    Code:
    sudo make install
    It builds for a while, and then reports an error due to not being able to find the 'msgmerge' command. This seems to be a part of gettext, which is visibile via dpkg but has no info e.g. isn't really there (I assume there is a term for this - is it virtual package?). After this it degrads into
    me trying to build/install gettext (grabbed the source, configured, make -> some error about "can't read nls.texi".

I feel like I'm headed down a rabbit hole trying to manually transfer dependencies, build them, etc. I have been using a USB to transfer the files. I looked at this page (the section re: Installing Software w/o an Internet Connection) and tried to use Synaptic, but neither bcm5700 or module-assistant show up there.

I would definitely appreciate any help, sorry this is so long. I'm definitely a beginner at building/installing packages from source, I have only used the visual pm so far.

For what it's worth, this is a basic network setup. I have a cable model plugged into a wireless router running dhcp, and the vostro is plugged into the router via ethernet.
    Last edited by crabpot8; January 7th, 2011 at 03:12 AM.