Thread: Problem configuring network connections

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Problem configuring network connections

Hi! I have a problem configuring my network connection. My lab setup includes having a static IP address. There was no prompt for network configuration during the installation of Ubuntu 10.10 (via Wubi - WindowsXP) so the network was not yet set.

Then I configured the network interface by setting all the values (IP, subnet, gateway, DNS, etc.) and the connection worked. However, after a shutdown/reboot, it doesn't connect anymore. I checked the list of network interfaces and now there's another interface that was created from nowhere (e.g. there was eth0 before, not it has eth0 and eth1). Sometimes, the MAC Address that was set on one interface does not match the MAC address when i do a /sbin/ifconfig command.

This situation happened to me way back in Ubuntu 10.04 as well.

Also, when I do a /sbin/ifconfig command, only "lo" was present and no eth0/eth1 was shown on my Terminal.

It becomes tedious because I have to reconfigure all the time only to find out that my settings were not permanent at all.

I need help.
    Educator, UP College of Education
    Professional Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) International
    NetBeans Platform Certified Associate

Beans

Re: Problem configuring network connections

So that the configuration remains after reboots you have to save the configuration in the configuration files.

Heres' how to use the command line: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-net...mand-line.html

Here's how to use the graphical tool: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-net...ical-tool.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Problem configuring network connections

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll try that command line method later. I inspected a working machine and I was wondering why it doesn't seem to follow what was shown on the command line howto. The machine was set to static IP but there was nothing about it that was found at the /etc/network/interfaces file. And thing is, it works!

About the graphical method - I know how to set it but it still did not work. (the howto's old as well by the way)
    Educator, UP College of Education
    Professional Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) International
    NetBeans Platform Certified Associate