Thread: Lucid and Firefox 4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lucid and Firefox 4

So a quick question (actually, questions) about installing firefox 4 when it comes out.

What's the preferred method to install it? Will there be a backport of it? Should I install the binary (the .deb package) from the mozilla website?

If I go the latter route (installing the binary from the website), will installing the binary potentially break my system for future applications? Will I be able to uninstall it in the future?

I don't plan on upgrading Lucid until the next LTS--once I set up a system the way I like it, I don't like to re-install for at least 2 years--and I'm just wondering what the preferred way of keeping certain apps (pidgin, firefox, office applications, etc.) up to date.

Thanks in advance for the help. I've read the Ubuntu documentation on backports (and some of the Debian docs too), but I'm still a tad confused.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Lucid and Firefox 4

Here read this. Hope it helps. Firefox: installing other versions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Firefox 4 should make its way into the main repository at some point, same as 3.6 did for all older version of Ubuntu. I'll get it by applying updates.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; January 6th, 2011 at 01:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the quick replies!

Wojox, that page that you linked to was very clear and very thorough. Thanks.

I think that I'll add the Ubuntuzilla repository to my sources list (assuming that firefox 4 doesn't hit the main repositories sometime pretty soon after it's released).

Is that what most LTS users do for new applications? Add new repos? I don't want anything that's too tightly integrated with Ubuntu to get updated (like I won't be getting new Gnome versions over the next year and a half), but for smaller apps like firefox and pidgin, I'd like more recent software.

Thanks again! The help was clear and well documented (I'm a little embarrassed that I did not find it myself).