Thread: left-hand USB mouse + right-hand touchpad in 8.04?

Beans

left-hand USB mouse + right-hand touchpad in 8.04?

Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS m1530 laptop that I have been running Hardy on for about 5 months. I have tendonitis in my right elbow, so I prefer to use a left-hand USB mouse configuration. BUT, when I'm not using the mouse, I want the touchpad to be configured with the regular right-hand configuration. It's a pain if you have to re-configure the mouse settings every time. Does anyone know if you can do the left-hand USB, right-hand touchpad combination???

Beans

Re: left-hand USB mouse + right-hand touchpad in 8.04?

Bump

Beans

*bump*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PeregrinGo View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS m1530 laptop that I have been running Hardy on for about 5 months. I have tendonitis in my right elbow, so I prefer to use a left-hand USB mouse configuration. BUT, when I'm not using the mouse, I want the touchpad to be configured with the regular right-hand configuration. It's a pain if you have to re-configure the mouse settings every time. Does anyone know if you can do the left-hand USB, right-hand touchpad combination???

With every "upgrade" I have to reconfigure this. Usually it involves modifying xorg.conf but with the latest 10.10 it just does not work. xorg.conf has nearly disappeared...does anyone know how to do this?

Beans

Go figure - after 3 weeks of searching I found a workable solution here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325508

just reverse the button mapping for right hand or left hand touchpad. Keep the USB mouse settings to right or left as desired via the gui tool in preferences.