Thread: Tasksel Not Working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Tasksel Not Working

Hello,

Today I've had the idea to install a mail server via Tasksel and it wouldn't load up correctly.

When I type in 'Sudo Tasksel' into the terminal, I receive the error stating "debconf failed to run". I tried re-installing Tasksel, but it says that I am running the latest installation.

Can anyone help me fix this? Or know a different way to install a mail server?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Tasksel Not Working

Sorry for double posting, but I've tried something else. Still receiving a error, but maybe it will help solve the problem.

john@ubuntu:~$ sudo tasksel install mail-server
    [sudo] password for john:
    Can't call method "set" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd.pm line 126, <GEN0> line 5.
    Use of uninitialized value $ret in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 132, <STDIN> line 4.
    Use of uninitialized value $ret in split at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 133, <STDIN> line 4.
    Use of uninitialized value $ret[0] in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Client/ConfModule.pm line 134, <STDIN> line 4.
    Use of uninitialized value $ret[0] in string eq at /usr/bin/debconf-apt-progress line 173, <STDIN> line 4.
    tasksel: aptitude failed (9)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by PsyclonJohn View Post
    Hello,

Today I've had the idea to install a mail server via Tasksel and it wouldn't load up correctly.

When I type in 'Sudo Tasksel' into the terminal, I receive the error stating "debconf failed to run". I tried re-installing Tasksel, but it says that I am running the latest installation.

Can anyone help me fix this? Or know a different way to install a mail server?

Thank you!
    Try installing tasksel.
    Code:
    $sudo apt-get install tasksel
    Agree to the installation and then try the application.

Beans

As far as I know, tasksel has been dropped from the default packages due to a problem with it uninstalling /everything/ when told to remove package groups (e.g. lamp-server).

Instead, you should use apt-get. The package groups still exist, but you need to call them with a caret (^).

e.g.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.