Thread: i can't access /Music/Band Name/Ablum Title/song.mp3 using the shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i can't access /Music/Band Name/Ablum Title/song.mp3 using the shell.

When using the shell, i can't access the directory /Matchbox Twenty/. I think it has something to do with the space between Matchbox and Twenty. It like the shell looks at Matchbox Twenty as two directories. Is there a simple solution to this issue? Is there something I need to do to the Environment Variables? Does anyone have a simple script, i could run to eliminate the spaces in my music folder? I don't know what I should do at this point.

I have been using ubuntu for about a month. The first thing i did was copy my music collection to /Places/Music. Then I have been using Rythm Box to play my music.

I also am taking a shot at learning the shell to reduce the demand on my resources. I am experimenting with mpg321 and sox. And up and coming in the book will be alsamixer, aumix, oggenc, commands. But, im no guru though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: i can't access /Music/Band Name/Ablum Title/song.mp3 using the shell.

Yes, it is the space. It must be typed in like
    Code:
     /home/user/Music/Album\ Title/song.mp3
    or in quotations
    Code:
     "/home/user/Music/Album Title/song.mp3"
    You can also hit the "Tab" key while typing and it will start to auto complete for you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: i can't access /Music/Band Name/Ablum Title/song.mp3 using the shell.

Thanks a million. I didn't expect a rapid and effective solution. I was able to fly through the directories at command.