Thread: Dell mini 910 Used to have XP Now has Ubuntu, Wireless issue

Beans

Red face Dell mini 910 Used to have XP Now has Ubuntu, Wireless issue

Hi
    I bought a Dell Mini 910 off ebay and it had alot of issues, so I decided to try to see if I could fix it ( I have No experience doing anything like this) - so I bought a hard drive and replaced it, then I got a USB and figured out how to get Ubuntu on there and eventually got it on this netbook.
    Now, I cannot get it to pick up the wireless connection in the house. I used the Ethernet cable and got online that way but as soon as I unplug it it goes off line.
    After reading some things online about this I went to the black screen and put in some codes that basically seemed to lead me to a prompt that stated it was 'disabled'
    Now I am wondering, because this originally had Windows xp and now has Ubuntu is there no way to get this to be wireless?
    When I right click on the signal it says everything is enabled but something deeper in there that has to do with the wireless part seems to be 'disabled' and I cannot figure this out.
    Will I have to somehow go back to Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell mini 910 Used to have XP Now has Ubuntu, Wireless issue

This was (and still is) a know problem with Karmic, and here is an easy fix.
    http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/11/br...in-karmic.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    This was (and still is) a know problem with Karmic, and here is an easy fix.
    http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/11/br...in-karmic.html
    Thank you SOOOOOO Much! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong! It works perfect now!!
    Thanks !
    >>HUGS<< =D>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Most welcome.

Beans

hey there...i have the same problem and i tried this link but i cant find the soloution...!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by constantinosk View Post
    hey there...i have the same problem and i tried this link but i cant find the soloution...!!!
    That's because the link is for an old version of Ubuntu (did you check the date on this thread??) but the good news is you can read the updated documentation for your Broadcom wireless card here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

Beans
    Distro

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.