Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NASA (allegedly) names most realistic and unrealistic Sci-Fi movies of all time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

NASA (allegedly) names most realistic and unrealistic Sci-Fi movies of all time

http://inmovies.ca/home/nasa_names_2...movie/77ce6113

Bad science
    Worst sci-fi movies

1 2012 (2009)
    2 The Core (2003)
    3 Armageddon (1998)
    4 Volcano (1997)
    5 Chain Reaction (1996)
    6 The 6th Day (2000)
    7 What the #$*! Do We Know? (2004)

Most realistic films

1 Gattaca (1997)
    2 Contact (1997)
    3 Metropolis (1927)
    4 The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
    5 Woman in the Moon (1929)
    6 The Thing from Another World (1951)
    7 Jurassic Park (1993)

Well, you don't need to be a scientist to know that Roland Emmerich movies are complete BS, but they are actually entertaining (because of the effects, not because of the script).
    Last edited by lovinglinux; January 5th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: NASA (allegedly) names most realistic and unrealistic Sci-Fi movies of all time

Gattaca cant be that far off coming true really!

Some of its already happening!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: NASA (allegedly) names most realistic and unrealistic Sci-Fi movies of all time

2012 confused me. At first, I was like haha this is a somewhat comical take on the end of the world (comical car chase, crazy Yellowstone guy...)...

Then at the end it got all emotional and serious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

People are likely to complain that this is a waste of NASA's time and money. However one of NASA's missions is to inform the public about science and what better way than to pick Hollywood apart - The Mythbusters do it regularly and it really does shine a light on how the world really works, as opposed to how non-science literate screen writers think it does, or decide it does for the good of the plot.

Fairly good examples, as well and looking at the list, unless you have a really great plot idea (and you likely don't), ignoring how science actually works simply turns out crappy movies. Whereas movies with credible science tend towards being good (Contact and Gattaca rank highly with me as well).
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm upset that The Day After Tomorrow isn't on the top ten worst list, but I am very happy to not only see Contact on the top ten best list, but very close to the top. It's my favorite movie.

That is assuming that the list really did come from NASA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    ...but I am very happy to not only see Contact on the top ten best list, but very close to the top. It's my favorite movie.
    One of my favorites too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Glad to see The Core getting the recognition it deserves. Worst movie ever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

7 What the #$*! Do We Know? (2004)

-Good call. I giggled the first time I saw it; the second time I allowed myself to get angry because afterward, there were probably five or six people who wouldn't shut up about it at dinner.

I think it really should be number one; the rest are obviously sci-fi blockbusters, types of feel-good flicks with cool special effects and all that.

"What the #$*! Do We Know?" pretends to be real, scientific, smart, world-changing; it masquerades as actual science; it's nothing but complete BS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Contact realistic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    Contact realistic?
    Reasonably. The book was written by Carl Sagan. They fudged some stuff, like what travelling through a wormhole should look like, but it wasn't too bad.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast