Thread: Help installing driver for GeForce 9500 GT - boot issues.

Beans

Unhappy Help installing driver for GeForce 9500 GT - boot issues.

Hi Gurus,

EVGA Video Card Issue - GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2

I tried to update to the latest 11.10 from 10.04 LTS, but I immediately had issues on reboot (stopped/stuck). So, since my drive was already partitioned for easy re-install, I decided to install a fresh version of 11.10. Unfortunately, I'm still having problems with my video card and I'm not sure how to get the proper driver installed.

I'm currently unable to boot into Ubuntu with the Video Card inserted into the Motherboard. It gets stuck at "Starting save kernel messages". This is with a VGA monitor connected thru to the DVI, using the DVI to VGA adapter. It worked well with Ubuntu 10.04.

I can remove the video card fully from the slot and then boot with the on-board video. Ubuntu loads up with any issues. But, then I can't find how to install the proper nvidia driver.

Help, Jeff

Re: Help installing driver for GeForce 9500 GT - boot issues.

I also have issues with this card. Just tried to change the driver to a newer version and Ubuntu doesn't start anymore...

Well... back to Puppy Linux...
    My Blog : Personal experience with Linux and Ubuntu. Beginners Tips&Tricks, Opinions and Reviews

There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past. [George Carlin]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Help installing driver for GeForce 9500 GT - boot issues.

Hi jjwdesign. Welcome to the forums.

Although upgrades have improved a lot, I've always had bad luck with them. I would advice you to make a clean install of 11.10. That's always works for me.

Kind Regards.

BTW: I have the exact same card!