Thread: problem with new laptop battery

Beans

problem with new laptop battery

It's been a while since I used Ubuntu, and I'am downloading the latest version now for burning now. I am looking forward to use some of the soft ware available, and hope the cooling fan issues I had last time are fixable now.

The problem really isn't Ubuntu but a new replacement battery I bought for my old laptop. I bought it from Ebay thinking that was good idea, I'm not so shore anymore. The new battery is not recognized at all.

I have a Fujitzu Siemens L1310G that I am trying to keep alive a bit longer. Do anyone know anything about the part of the sofware that controls the battery functions? Would it be any different if I installed Ubuntu? Is there any way to tackle this or am I forced to buy an original Siemens battery?
    Last edited by 2blue; January 4th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.

Beans

Re: problem with new laptop battery

No replies, perhaps difficult to give any advice. I installed Ubuntu today but battery is still not recognized.

Beans

As far as I know, the battery recognition is a function of the hardware/BIOS, not the OS.

If it isn't recognised, then I suggest you may have a faulty or incorrect battery.

I believe some laptops are rather more choosy about batteries than others (implying a recognition system). Did you take a general guess before buying, or did you get specific model numbers for appropriate batteries, and was any guarantee offered?

So far, my battery purchases have all been successful, even where they haven't been very long-lived (on acount of user misuse).
    Derek

Beans

Thanks for reply. I probably should have gone for an original Fujitsu Siemens battery, but I suspect getting the right replacment can be tricky. I only checked for the specifics that are labeled on the original battery; lithium-ion SOL-LMXXML6 4400mAh 11,1V, and the replacement battery are suppose to meet these requirements. Seller offers replacement or refund but it wasn't an expensive battery to beguin with; $43. Are some brands better than others?

Beans

The encouraging bit is that all my batteries were 'alternatives' not from the original source.

The problem is, how do you find whether a particular equivalent will perform as a proper replacement. I'd be inclined to get a refund - and then think hard about where to get another.

All my Google suggested sites are UK based - presumably not what you want.
    Derek

Beans

I'm in Norway and UK based is fine. What I can get here tend to be twice the cost p&p included, but I shall have to do some searching. Thanks again :- )