Thread: Creating Folder Shares from the Command Line

Beans

Creating Folder Shares from the Command Line

Is there a way to create a shared folder on the Ubuntu system from a command line that is viewable from Windows. Is there a way to do this without using any gui and without having to edit any files?

Beans

Re: Creating Folder Shares from the Command Line

Yes there is and it's usually associated with a GUI only application.

Let's use as an example the Documents folder in your home directory: /home/morbius/Documents

To create a share:
    Code:
    net usershare add documents /home/morbius/Documents "morbius documents" everyone:F guest_ok=y
    net usershare add = is the command sequence to add
    documents = is the name of the share
    /home/morbius/Documents = is the path to the directory you wish to share
    "morbius documents" = is the comments next to the share
    everyone:F = this will allow users the ability to read / write (F) to the share. If you only want to allow read access then substitute R for F.
    guest_ok=y = will allow guest access. If you want only authenticated useres then change that to guest_ok=n"

The only thing left to do is change the permissions on the target directory to allow "guests" to actually write to that share:
    Code:
    chmod 0777 /home/morbius/Documents
    To verify the share definition run the following command:
    Code:
    net usershare info --long
    In this particular case you should get the following output:
    [documents]
    path=/home/morbius/Documents
    comment=morbius documents
    usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
    guest_ok=y
    If it doesn't work or you want to delete it:
    Code:
    net usershare delete documents
    Note: This will the delete the sharing of th Documents folder not delete the folder itself.

Beans

That worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

Beans

I tried following these instructions, and everything appears to be working correctly on the Ubuntu side, including the expected output from "net usershare info --long", but I can't see the shared folder on the Windows machine. I assume it should be in My Network Places? On the suggestion of another site, I've loaded up /etc/samba/smb.conf, changed the workgroup name to match the Windows box, set "browseable = yes" and "read only = no", but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The server is running Ubuntu 11.10, and the client is running Windows XP. (I'd like to get it working with an OS X 10.6 machine as well.)

Beans

You should start a new topic since the original post dealt with a specific request on a system with a functional network and Samba configuration.

When you do, it would help if you included the output of each of the following commands:
    Code:
    testparm -s
    net usershare info --long
    hostname
    smbtree
    It could be something simple like your hostname being 16 characters or longer in length.

BTW, Usershares as described in this topic have share definitions in /var/lib/samba/usershares. It appears you also have share definitions for the same folder in smb.conf. They are both Samba shares but it's anyone's guess which one Samba will listen to so get rid of one or the other.