Thread: Best Distro with a small foot print?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Best Distro with a small foot print?

TL;DR version bellow. just need a distro that meets those requirements well.

I have an old Dell Dimension 3000 that has been out of comision for a while. i haven't used it in forever. I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop for the first time last week. So i thought, why not put it on the Dell and rehabilitate it? its got a virus-riden XPHome on it. my plan is to wipe the HD to kill the virus (and all the old files i don't need anymore), reinstall XP, and then get a Linux distro to Dual-boot on it. This will more or less be my guinea-pig machine for experimenting and learning more about computers. I don't have the specs at the moment, but its carrying 2 Ram sticks totaling exactly 512 MB. i know this wont run Ubuntu well, and id like to try a different one anyways.

so, what distros do you think meet these requirements:

1. good to experiement with.
    2. will run well on about 512 MB of RAM
    3. still has a GUI as well as the CLI (i'm no where near used to the terminal.)

Beans

Re: Best Distro with a small foot print?

lubuntu or linux mint's lxde respin.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Best Distro with a small foot print?

TL;DR version bellow. just need a distro that meets those requirements well.

I have an old Dell Dimension 3000 that has been out of comision for a while. i haven't used it in forever. I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop for the first time last week. So i thought, why not put it on the Dell and rehabilitate it? its got a virus-riden XPHome on it. my plan is to wipe the HD to kill the virus (and all the old files i don't need anymore), reinstall XP, and then get a Linux distro to Dual-boot on it. This will more or less be my guinea-pig machine for experimenting and learning more about computers. I don't have the specs at the moment, but its carrying 2 Ram sticks totaling exactly 512 MB. i know this wont run Ubuntu well, and id like to try a different one anyways.

so, what distros do you think meet these requirements:

1. good to experiement with.
    2. will run well on about 512 MB of RAM
    3. still has a GUI as well as the CLI (i'm no where near used to the terminal.)

Some i have in mind: Slitaz, puppy, Xubuntu (though the wiki page said its not actually that small). i don't know much about them, other that a small footprint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try Lubuntu, it should run well on 512Mb.

I found it ran better than Mint LXDE on 256Mb RAM
    Last edited by verymadpip; January 4th, 2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1000 with two sticks of RAM also totaling 512 Mbs and I have installed Lucid Lynx 10.04 on it. The only hang up was the WIFI. I had to connect to the Internet with an Ethernet cable to get the lousy Broadcom driver and now it runs great. It also had XP installed but I wiped it and installed Ubuntu as the sole OS. There is no reason why you couldn't dual boot yours unless you have a very small hard drive.

Beans

I've got an old pc with 1.7Ghz athlon processor and 512m PC133 SD ram. I'm pretty pleased with the performance of Xubuntu on it. I too read the page about Xubuntu not being as small as it claims.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ubuntu with openbox (replacing metacity) will run fine.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.