Thread: Cannot open certain text files in /Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cannot open certain text files in /Home

I have been running Ubuntu 10.10 since its appearance and I have never had any problems opening any files. Since yesterday however certain of my files will no longer open and I am informed by the system that these files do not exist, although I can see them.
    On further investigation I found that I could open as normal all PDF files as well as all MP3 and .avi files and some of my text files. Those files that I could not open all had the letters Ü or Ä or Ö in the name of the file. Whenever I tried to open such a file it could not identify those letters and substituted it with ??.
    So for example, I want to open a file called "ernährung.odt". The system would then advise that the file ern??hrung.odt does not exist. When I then change the name of the file to not include either of the letters ö, ü, ä, the file would then open.
    Now these letters are standard on my german keyboard and I have been using these letters in file names since Ubuntu 8.04 with no problems. This is a new problem that just started up and which I can not explain. I have not done any updates, nor did I make any changes to my system over the last week or two. I have both the english and german languages installed as ever.
    I have checked the keyboard preferences and I can type all of the letters on my keyboard. I have checked to make sure both languages are installed, I have looked through the settings in Open Office but I do not know how to fix this problem. I do need those letters though. I have over 3000 text files in my system and at least half of them contain these letters in their names, so it would be a major issue to have to change them all.
    Any help and ideas would be appreciated

Edit: I removed the german language vie synaptic (complete removal) and re-installed it again. It now works and opens all files.
    Last edited by germanix; January 4th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.