Thread: Logging in as the administrator

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Logging in as the administrator

Hey everyone, I was exploring Maverick Meerkat just these days and I think I must have clicked somewhere I shouldn't, because when I logged in again, Ubuntu asked for a password that I had no idea of what it was.
    I tried to use the password I have to enter whenever I tried to install something through the Programs Central, but no work. What I wanted to know is, is there a way to log in as the administrator of the computer, on that "pick-your-user" screen thing? If not, is there a a way of having Windows XP recognize Ubuntu partitions (don't remember the name), so I can at least recover my files? Thanks in advance. Any other info you might need, feel free to ask, I'm the one who needs help

Beans
    Distro

Re: Logging in as the administrator

have you tried logging in as root?
    to do that, choose other at the login screen, then type root

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans
    Hidden!

When you installed Ubuntu, it will have asked you for some details for your new installation's first user. This is your administrative user.

By default, the "root" user is disabled in Ubuntu. The preferred method of gaining administrative privileges is with the sudo command. More information can be found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by or3x View Post
    have you tried logging in as root?
    to do that, choose other at the login screen, then type root
    Can you do that? I thought that ubuntu disables the root account and you cant do that from the login screen anyway.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Failure is not an option; it comes bundled with Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Argh, things aren't looking good to me... I was going to try the root-as-a-username thing and got stuck at the "Checking Battery State" at boot
    Tried to Ctrl+Alt+F6, and a login thingo showed up. Then I read the other answers and discovered I can't do that root thing. All I wanted was to get some of the files inside the notebook that are important, other than that I can format it and start it all over... Any clues? I am willing to even use windows if it is what it will take

Edit: First part of the problem solved: Entered in recovery mode and managed to change my password through being root. Now to solve the Checking Battery State, but that's another thread Thanks everyone
    Last edited by JoeLeeto; January 6th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.