Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess what I found!

Beans

Guess what I found!

I found something that I didn't ever expect to see...

I was browsing elevaider.com recently, and on this page, I expected to just see free (as in $0) software for Windows. That's what I saw as I read the page, until I got to the bottom, where I saw the phrase "Tired of Windows?" at the bottom. I scrolled down further expecting an ad for a Mac or something, but instead, I saw this:

I guess there's an elevator mechanic working on Bug #1...
    Computer: A system restart is required.

Me: I'LL SHOW YOU A RESTART!!! *unplugs computer*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Guess what I found!

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie View Post
    I found something that I didn't ever expect to see...

I was browsing elevaider.com recently, and on this page, I expected to just see free (as in $0) software for Windows. That's what I saw as I read the page, until I got to the bottom, where I saw the phrase "Tired of Windows?" at the bottom. I scrolled down further expecting an ad for a Mac or something, but instead, I saw this:

I guess there's an elevator mechanic working on Bug #1...
    On this topic, I've wanted to say this so many times it's not funny. Elevator door close buttons serve no purpose other than giving the passenger the illusion of control. (You gotta love the Internet)
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    On this topic, I've wanted to say this so many times it's not funny. Elevator door close buttons serve no purpose other than giving the passenger the illusion of control. (You gotta love the Internet)
    Actually, on older relay logic controllers, the button does actually close the door. Digital controllers, on the other hand, can be programmed to close the doors or not. The door close button always works during special service modes.
    Computer: A system restart is required.

Me: I'LL SHOW YOU A RESTART!!! *unplugs computer*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The door close button seems to work fine on most elevators here in HK. Now the pedestrian crossing button at crosswalks I'm not so sure about...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Of course in Israel during shabbat, the buttons don't matter because the elevator stops at every floor. This prevents you from doing "work" on the sabbath--pushing a button to cause an action.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I was at a hotel a few days ago where the door close button worked immediately, every time. I always press it when I'm in an elevator, this is the first time I can remember one actually working though, it was amazing
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Everyone here is saying how the elevator's close buttons do work..
    But, I believe that ki4jgt was not talking about whatever the buttons actually work.

In my opinion he was saying that that even if you don't press the close buttons, the elevator closes automatically in a short while. So, the close buttons are actually not needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by treesurf View Post
    The door close button seems to work fine on most elevators here in HK. Now the pedestrian crossing button at crosswalks I'm not so sure about...
    Once when I was younger, my brother and I got curious about those crosswalk buttons. After trying to time the lights for a while we decided to see what makes it tick. After popping off some screws and the lid we found.............a spring.....no wires, electronics or anything that suggested a functional device, just a spring behind the button.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu27 View Post
    Everyone here is saying how the elevator's close buttons do work..
    But, I believe that ki4jgt was not talking about whatever the buttons actually work.

In my opinion he was saying that that even if you don't press the close buttons, the elevator closes automatically in a short while. So, the close buttons are actually not needed.
    Actually, I'm not gonna cover this one up and say yes I was, LOL I was talking about this http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=6603
    But then after I googled it and remembered where I found the info, I'm starting to think twice about it. There are still a plethora of websites which support this sites claims though, which is why I believed it at the time.

***EDIT: Snopes seems to have removed their primary article on this subject so here's another one of the many links Google has on the subject

http://gizmodo.com/380741/things-you...dern-elevators
    Last edited by ki4jgt; January 4th, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am still fairly positive that most door close buttons on Hong Kong elevators do function. I am going to time the one in my building (i.e. closing time w/o pushing button vs. pushing) and will report back the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast