Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Libra Office be as good as Ms Office?

Beans

Will Libra Office be as good as Ms Office?

I don't know if this is the right section to ask this, but will Libra Office be as good las MS Office? I really need something productive as Microsoft Office for college. So I was wondering if Libra Office would do the job right. Open Office is not working out for me.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Will Libra Office be as good as Ms Office?

If your in college then personally I would dual boot. It will save some headaches.

Beans

I cannot afford Microsoft Os I am using my cousins old system 76 laptop.

Beans

Dual boot sucks. You only ever need to switch operating systems for one thing, then chances are you want to switch back. Find a way to run everything you want on one OS.

There isn't anything that's 100% like Microsoft Office (hereafter referred to as MSO) except MSO.

If you're in college to learn to use MSO then nothing else will suffice. If you want to be able to use documents that most people use, then OpenOffice (OOO) in the best I've found. Frankly I don't use any of that, so I don't keep up with the latest office applications.

If you must use Windows for anything, then use VMware or similar.

Frankly though, if you want MSO then just install Crossover Office and run MSO directly from Linux. I did that once for work, it worked really well. You have the fee for Crossover Office and for MSO, no need to install Windows.

Good luck and have fun.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Open Office is not working out for me.
    I installed a beta version of libre office a while back and didn't notice any working difference between open office except for the licensing.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 - Fedora 13 - Goddard
    Desktop: Self-Built - [Ku, Lu, Xu, U]buntu - Lucid 10.04.3 (LTS)
    Linux User: 498249 / Ubuntu User: 29241

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I don't see Libre Office unseating MS Office anytime soon. Seriously, the development of OpenOffice has been glacial. Why should this be any different? I also believe the beginning of the end is near for monolithic office suites. I think we're evolving to cloud-based computing here.

Beans

Hi,

I am new to ubuntu forums, i dont know where to post my queries, can you help me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mindswap1 View Post
    I don't know if this is the right section to ask this, but will Libra Office be as good las MS Office? I really need something productive as Microsoft Office for college. So I was wondering if Libra Office would do the job right. Open Office is not working out for me.

Hmm lets see... Open Office is a bit better developed MS Office 2003, which seems productive enough. People write books in it, many companies still use the MS 2003 version. i am not sure what you need to do that is so special. Indeed MsOffice 2007 has some advanced features that make it easier to use but default settings are just that - defalt. if more people use it then everyones text and such is the same.

next since MS Office seems to be the only option for you, you could try their student version. it's cheaper, ment for students and might be missing some applications that students don't really need anyway.
    Last edited by mastablasta; January 3rd, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK. Found some info on a PPA to install Libre Office. Have a look here:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/n...n-ubuntu-easy/

Or here:
    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/source/libreoffice-ppa/
    Last edited by lidex; January 5th, 2011 at 05:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been writing papers for college and grad school in OpenOffice for years in a fairly demanding field (I have three different alphabets in most of my papers with multiple text directions, ligatures, and by-the-book Chicago formating). I think it is superior to MSOffice for type-setting and document organization, if not quite as powerful with presentations.

It's just a matter of getting used to it. Some of the controls are a bit counter-intuitive, and the 'help' is about as helpful as a sharp stick in the eye. Googling your problem, on the other hand, will often bring very good results.

Of course, as other people have mentioned, there are ways to use MSOffice in Ubuntu if you can't handle learning OpenOffice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast