Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans

Post Dell Duo Setup Guide

This is a “How To” and also a support/research thread for the Dell Inspiron Duo. This thread is a spin off of this thread

I will say that all the hardware doesn't work quite right but its a work in progress. There will be more added as we figure out more. So keep your eyes on this thread.

Things that don't work

1. Accelerometer - unable to have the screen rotate automatically and grab the data from the device (we are getting close to having it work)

Things that work

1. Touchscreen's single input
    2. Webcam
    3. Microphone
    4. Touchpad
    5. Wireless/Bluetooth
    6. Multitouch (Works Partly!)
    I'm not sure how the 3G slot works because I didn't get one on mine. Anyone who has any news about that please share.

First Steps

Go ahead and update your system completely.

Pop open Update Manager and install all the updates available.

This will take some time based on your Internet speed. Go grab a cup of coffee and watch this Documentary on Linux

Make sure to reboot before proceeding!

Touchscreen
    --Caboose885 and shartke

All Versions (Kernel 2.6.24+
    )
    1. Go to the following website and download the daemon driver: EGalax Touch drivers

2. Extract the file from its archive and r
    un the sh script found in the driver folder.
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/eTouch-******/
    Code:
    sudo sh setup.sh

3. Reboot your computer

4. Run the command in terminal (Or find eGalax Calibration Utility under Applications List)
    Code:
    eGTouchU
    You should be able to select the "Draw Test" and verify that your touchscreen and Multi-Touch is working!

5. If your touchscreen Y axis is backwords you might need to change the Direction line from 0 to 2. (This will fix the inverted Y axis. If its backwards after reboot.)
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/eGTouch.ini

If you are having a problem getting the drivers to work see the attached GRUB.odt file for how to modify GRUB to get the touchscreen working. The Grub way however will only give you single input and not multi-touch

TwoFinger Multi-touch Touchpad -- Caboose885

Since Ubuntu 12.04+ the touchpad has supported multi-touch right out of the box. Just head to mouse settings and enable it.

Fixing Bluetooth --JaseP
    12.04+
    Bluetooth is working without any additional package installs.

Fixing the Microphone and Headphones -- DfarmerTX

All Versions

Run the following command into a Terminal
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    At the very bottom of the file add the following line.
    Code:
     options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad
    Save and exit. Reboot your Duo and everything should be working properly. (that is listed as working)

Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Driver --Caboose885

Download driver and follow README to compile

Tablet Mode Recognition -- gjahuja

Add the following lines to /etc/rc.local (make sure to sudo)
    Code:
    setkeycodes e073 148 &
    setkeycodes e074 149
    exit 0
    When you flip the screen and close the lid, a keystroke is sent, and when you open the lid one the screen is flipped another one is sent. Those commands maps these keystrokes to XF86LAUNCH1 and XF86LAUNCH2. rc.local runs those commands on start up so you don't need to run them at every session start.

Now open Keyboard Shortcuts and add two new shortcuts, one for Tablet Mode ON, and other one for Tablet Mode OFF, and tell them to run your scripts for each mode. Now, you can't type XF86LAUNCH# to the shortcut field, what you need to do is click it for it to become active (it will say New shortcut...) and then flip the screen and close the lid. The correct keystroke will be added. Then click to edit the other one and while it's active open the lid, you will see XF86LAUNCH2 in the shortcut field.

Chrome and Firefox Addons for touchscreen scrolling --Non.Cents

Install the following Addons based on your browser
    Chrome: ChromeTouch
    Firefox: Grab and Drag

Thanks to the following for their awesomeness!
    shartke
    ninjaaron
    w1ll1am
    DfarmerTX
    Kallun
    Non.Cents
    JaseP

Optional Packages to Install
    Via Synaptic Package Manager
    (Applications → System → Synaptic Package Manager)
    1. StartupManager – Allows you to change the Grub boot menu default selection and reduce the grub default time.
    2. ubuntu-restricted-extras – Adds special file support. MP3, MP4, AVI, Flash, Java, and more!
    3. VLC – Lighter and better for less powerful hardware (like the Duo) I can get full 1080P Big Buck Bunny to play flawlessly on my Duo using VLC
    4. uTouch – support for multi-touch. (in theory)
    5. preload - caches your most used programs to RAM, therefore causing things to open faster.
    6. EasyStroke - Gesture Recognition for mouse movements

Other Packages

Ubuntu Tweak
    --Allows you to have some more control over your computer using the GUI and not terminal.
    Florence Virtual Keyboard
    --one of the better onscreen keyboards for touchscreens
    Kvkbd
    --Virtual Keyboard used by the KDE Desktop Enviroment
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kirboosy; September 27th, 2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Updates
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Cool thread. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    Things that don't work
    1. Multi-touch – the current kernel has problems. It will be resolved next kernel. (in theory)
    2. Accelerometer
    3. Rotation of screen (ties into the Accelerometer but it also INCLUDES MANUAL ROTATION.)
    WAT!?

you can't use the monitor settings to rotate the screen!?

This does not please me. I plan on using the duo heavily as a reader whenever it finally shows up in my Jerusalem mailbox. I'll get this thing spinning, one way or another

Beans

The screen Does rotate but the mouse doesn't work properly. I guess I should of clarified. Its like the mouse doesn't rotate with the screen so it makes it awkward to use it. I'm trying to figure out a fix for this issue
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The screen Does rotate but the mouse doesn't work properly. I guess I should of clarified. Its like the mouse doesn't rotate with the screen so it makes it awkward to use it. I'm trying to figure out a fix for this issue
    'mouse' as in track-pad or touch-screen?

If it's just the track-pad, that's normal. None of my computers correct track-pad functionality with screen rotation. Of course, with a normal wireless mouse, you just turn the screen so up is up, face the right direction, and it doesn't make a difference.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    'mouse' as in track-pad or touch-screen?

If it's just the track-pad, that's normal. None of my computers correct track-pad functionality with screen rotation. Of course, with a normal wireless mouse, you just turn the screen so up is up, face the right direction, and it doesn't make a difference.
    Its actually both. If you plug a USB mouse in then it works properly.

I'm hoping this next kernel will magically solve most of our problems.
    Last edited by Kirboosy; January 3rd, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is anyone else having problems with the f keys? They are set to the multimedia by default, and f with the function. I reverted the multimedia-f keys in the BIOS, but it seems to only fix the problem for the first boot into Ubuntu. After the first boot, the keys seem to revert back to the multimedia keys first and the f* keys with the function key (only in Ubuntu, not Windows). I've checked the BIOS and it's still set to be the function keys be default as well.

I am also having problems with two-finger scrolling. Though after snooping around some it seems that it's a known bug with the current version of the synaptic drivers. At least from what I understand. I'll post a link if I have time/remember/find it later.

These problems may be limited to Ubuntu 10.10, not UNE. It's running more smoothly for me in full 10.10 than it was in UNE for me for some reason (also I hate UNE, so I'm a little biased).

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Its actually both. If you plug a USB mouse in then it works properly.

I'm hoping this next kernel will magically solve most of our problems.
    Oh. That sucks. Here's hoping for the next kernel.

Mine is actually in the country right now. I get a letter today from the Israeli post office security department. I had to call them to confirm I was expecting the package. They told me that they would now send it to a post office where I could pick it up, and they would send me another letter to tell me where that was. Obviously, they will not send the package to the post office where I have my PO box. That would make too much sense. They will send it somewhere else and tell me where to go (via letter sent to my box). This country is apparently run by the same sales rep at Dell responsible for refunding unused Windows licenses.

On the upside, I'm sure that whenever I do manage to get my computer, enough time will have elapsed that all the bugs will certainly be fixed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chuchaqui View Post
    Is anyone else having problems with the f keys? They are set to the multimedia by default, and f with the function. I reverted the multimedia-f keys in the BIOS, but it seems to only fix the problem for the first boot into Ubuntu. After the first boot, the keys seem to revert back to the multimedia keys first and the f* keys with the function key (only in Ubuntu, not Windows). I've checked the BIOS and it's still set to be the function keys be default as well.

I am also having problems with two-finger scrolling. Though after snooping around some it seems that it's a known bug with the current version of the synaptic drivers. At least from what I understand. I'll post a link if I have time/remember/find it later.

These problems may be limited to Ubuntu 10.10, not UNE. It's running more smoothly for me in full 10.10 than it was in UNE for me for some reason (also I hate UNE, so I'm a little biased).

Cheers
    This is my first go round with UNE. My first netbook. I think UNE is ok (I normally use gnome so its not that different)

I have noticed that issue with my F keys. Like you said changed in the BIOS yet it doesn't last. I think its something to do with Ubuntu because in Windows *shudder* it doesn't have that issue.

I have an idea on how to solve the touchpad issues but I need to play with my Duo first. (I'm at work right now so I can't play with my Duo.) I need to just start bringing my Duo to work with me. Lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am also having problems with the headphone slot. Anyone else? I'll try to look into it some :-/ .

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuchaqui View Post
    I am also having problems with the headphone slot. Anyone else? I'll try to look into it some :-/ .
    My headphone port seems to be working fine. what is it yours is doing? nothing at all or sound static or what?

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast