Page 20 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    Dell had installed a recovery partition on the Duo. To access it you simply run Windows and tell it to "repair your computer" (generally F8 before W7 actually starts booting) Then there should be ""Dell Datasafe Restore and Emergency Backup". This will wipe everything off your computer also it is much faster than CDs though.

Glad to see you are still researching the accelerometer still. Hopefully you can get it working soon.
    I had scrubbed the HD ,zip, nada ,gone
    I want all the real estate it's mine I say

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Revamped orta-big metacity theme. This time I actually made the images of the buttons themselves longer. This one looks good and is really easy to touch. Oviously, as a simple metacity theme, it will work with other gtk2 themes than just orta.

again, unzip and drop the folder it in ~/.theme and it should automatically appear in Appearance>Themes>Customize>Window Border
    Last edited by ninjaaron; January 26th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

a'ight ya'llz, I didn't have the brains to make the rotation toggle script myself, but I did have the brains to get someone in 'General Help' to write it for me. Shout out to pl@yer for getting the script working. Here we go:

In a terminal, type:
    Code:
    gedit .screen-rotation-toggle
    copy this into the editor:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    rotation=`xrandr -q --verbose|grep LVDS1|cut -b37-43`
    if [ $rotation = "normal" ] ;
    then
      xrandr -o left
    else
      xrandr -o normal
    fi
    then save and close the file.
    back in terminal land type
    Code:
    chmod +x .screen-rotation-toggle
    close the terminal.
    When you create the launcher (in your panel, menu, or dock of choice), in the "command" box put
    Code:
    ./.screen-rotation-toggle
    Note:
    This script is saved in as a hidden file in your the home folder. If you want it to be available to other users, you will have to modify these instructions.
    Last edited by ninjaaron; January 26th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    a'ight ya'llz, I didn't have the brains to make the rotation toggle script myself, but I did have the brains to get someone in 'General Help' to write it for me. Shout out to pl@yer for getting the script working. Here we go:

In a terminal, type:
    Code:
    gedit .screen-rotation-toggle
    copy this into the editor:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    rotation=`xrandr -q --verbose|grep LVDS1|cut -b37-43`
    if [ $rotation = "normal" ] ;
    then
      xrandr -o left
    else
      xrandr -o normal
    fi
    then save and close the file.
    back in terminal land type
    Code:
    close the terminal.
    When you create the launcher (in your panel, menu, or dock of choice), in the "command" box put
    Code:
    Note:
    This script is saved in as a hidden file in your the home folder. If you want it to be available to other users, you will have to modify these instructions.
    Damn it! why am I always at work when I read these awesome updates! Seriously nice work! To both pl@yer and ninjaaron. Gunna do this as soon as i'm back home, i'll try your theme too!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kallun View Post
    Damn it! why am I always at work when I read these awesome updates! Seriously nice work! To both pl@yer and ninjaaron. Gunna do this as soon as i'm back home, i'll try your theme too!
    If you're at work then why are you on here? Shouldn't you be "working"?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron
    a'ight ya'llz, I didn't have the brains to make the rotation toggle script myself, but I did have the brains to get someone in 'General Help' to write it for me. Shout out to pl@yer for getting the script working
    I saw that thread and I was thinking about posting on it but I didn't. Very good job to Pl@yer for writing the script and for ninjaaron to finding someone to help us.

I modified my script some. I like mine to rotate right
    Last edited by Kirboosy; January 26th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Code:
    This did not work for me I had to do
    Code:
     /.screen-rotation-toggle
    also it did not work after
    Code:
    I had to go in to / and change the permissions by right clicking and going to properties.

other than that works great good job.

P.S. I can not add anything to the panel in netbook edition only in standard gnome and once I log back in to unity it is not there can everyone else add stuff to there panel?
    Last edited by w1ll1am; January 26th, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Beans

[QUOTE=Caboose885;10399362]If you're at work then why are you on here? Shouldn't you be "working"?

Haha Caboose, you're on here at work too It seems to make the day go a bit quicker when I don't have a million e-mails to deal with ;D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kallun View Post
    Haha Caboose, you're on here at work too It seems to make the day go a bit quicker when I don't have a million e-mails to deal with ;D
    Truth, I wish I could get internet on my Duo at work though. Then I would be able to work on solutions, but company policy prohibits me from connecting it.

At least Ubuntu Forums isn't blocked
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by w1ll1am View Post
    This did not work for me I had to do
    Code:
     /.screen-rotation-toggle
    also it did not work after
    Code:
    I had to go in to / and change the permissions by right clicking and going to properties.

other than that works great good job.
    Weird, but at least you got it to work. Are you using a shell besides bash, out of curiosity? Also, did you save it in / or in ~ ?
    P.S. I can not add anything to the panel in netbook edition only in standard gnome and once I log back in to unity it is not there can everyone else add stuff to there panel?
    As far as I can tell, from the GUI you can only add programs that appear in the panel as they are running (by right clicking and selecting... some option with a forgettable name...). Obviously a shell script doesn't have an window in X, so it never appears in the panel.

Apparently there is also a config file that may be edited to add more items to the panel. I think there is a post about it somewhere in this giant thread, and certainly somewhere else on the Internet.

I've sort of abandoned Unity for the time being. It's a good idea, but a little half-baked in 10.10. I'm quite sure you can add panel launchers already in the daily alpha builds of 11.04, so that shouldn't be a problem in the near future, but I haven't tested it myself.

You could also theoretically run an independent doc (AWN, Cairo, Docky...) and put launcher there, but having to run another dock sort of makes Unity redundant.
    Last edited by ninjaaron; January 26th, 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    I modified my script some. I like mine to rotate right
    It almost seems more natural to rotate it to the right, but I opted against it because of the location of the ports and plug. I rest the bottom on my lap or against my stomach a lot in tablet mode (d*mn heavy tablet, afterall), so it seems more practical to have the ports on top.

Luckily, I've kept 'my code' open source so we can all modify it for our needs.

Page 20 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast