Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans

Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    No, I haven't. Cool that you have. I would really like to, but I'm not in the financial situation where I can do that. The duo itself was a gift.

On the other hand, if anyone is donating SSD's to poor students, you know where to find me
    Same for me! Poor college student here.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ok, so I realise that the on-screen keyboard probably isn't the most critical piece of software for the duo, but after messing around a bit, I've come to the conclusion that onboard, the ugliest of them all, is probably also the best. Florence has some weird behaviours that make it very difficult to use in an auto-complete context (ie: typing a web address or using a search engine, which is what I'm usually doing with it). Onboard also gives more immediate access to the F, navigation, and num-pad keys without them always taking up valuable screen space.

What I'm finding out is that onboard is very modifiable through text files and editing SVGs. I'm going to work on getting it to look decent over the next week and see how it goes. Since this is sort of beyond 'Inspiron duo setup,' I'll post a new thread on the moblin board when I get some stuff figured out, and I'll put a link to it over here if anyone shows any interest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ok, so I realise that the on-screen keyboard probably isn't the most critical piece of software for the duo, but after messing around a bit, I've come to the conclusion that onboard, the ugliest of them all, is probably also the best. Florence has some weird behaviours that make it very difficult to use in an auto-complete context (ie: typing a web address or using a search engine, which is what I'm usually doing with it). Onboard also gives more immediate access to the F, navigation, and num-pad keys without them always taking up valuable screen space.

What I'm finding out is that onboard is very modifiable through text files and editing SVGs. I'm going to work on getting it to look decent over the next week and see how it goes. Since this is sort of beyond 'Inspiron duo setup,' I'll post a new thread on the moblin board when I get some stuff figured out, and I'll put a link to it over here if anyone shows any interest.
    That would be awesome! I gave in and bought the duo again I shipped it back but found that there is really nothing else on the market. So, I will be posting somethings I am finding out. I found the Kvkbd to be a little finicky but once you get use to it and make sure you always minimize it when done it works well.
    --Shartke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well thought I would give everyone an update. After playing with UNE 10.10 for 8 hours I decided to ditch it. Does anyone else think that interface is way too buggy/slow? I was getting so frusrated so I switched to MeeGo for a while. I got all the codecs, touchscreen, and everything working. Even has a killer onscreen keyboard. (Minus the no enter button? WTH? Who builds a keyboard without an enter button) I mean this keyboard even pops up when you point to a textbox! Freaking amazing. I still miss ubuntu I am thinking about slipping back a version and trying that. I have read reviews stating 10.10 inteface wasn't ready. What are your thoughts?
    --Shartke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by shartke View Post
    Well thought I would give everyone an update. After playing with UNE 10.10 for 8 hours I decided to ditch it. Does anyone else think that interface is way too buggy/slow? I was getting so frusrated so I switched to MeeGo for a while. I got all the codecs, touchscreen, and everything working. Even has a killer onscreen keyboard. (Minus the no enter button? WTH? Who builds a keyboard without an enter button) I mean this keyboard even pops up when you point to a textbox! Freaking amazing. I still miss ubuntu I am thinking about slipping back a version and trying that. I have read reviews stating 10.10 inteface wasn't ready. What are your thoughts?
    I agree UNE was and still is not up to use for everyday. Just way to many things that have to be tinkered with, the resolution that is available in all the flavors of linux just is to small for me. I had a great experience with MeeGo as well and believe it is a real contender. Even Android has a better GUI and easier to see jmho. I have finally gone back to Windows , main reason ? The ability to have better control over the screen resolution. I do not like Windows...but it is not half bad using Thinix for a desktop. If you have not really explored what most are having to say about UNE ,do your self a favor and do so. It seems that most begged Unbuntu to not use that desktop. And if they insist upon using it they are going to lose many Unbuntu fans. The Dell Duo is a great little machine and I enjpy having it to use for travel. But it could sure use some refinement in the OS department.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sorry for the multiple posts using ie 9 and it is also not ready for prime time. I can not find where to delete them???? Sorry about this Mods

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garwal View Post
    sorry for the multiple posts using ie 9 and it is also not ready for prime time. I can not find where to delete them???? Sorry about this Mods
    So switching to Windows is going well for ya then garwal? ;D Haha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by garwal View Post
    No apologies necessary. Forum error happens to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallun View Post
    So switching to Windows is going well for ya then garwal? ;D Haha
    No need for O/S bashing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by shartke View Post
    I agree, I think. I love Unity, but it's just not quite ready yet. I'm still using UNE though, just switched my session to gnome... and I installed compiz... but now it's great!

I have a docky dock on the left side for an application list and launcher with 60px icons, intelle-hiding (when the active window overlaps, it hides. I'm also using an oversized, auto-hidden gnome panel for my sys-tray, applications menu, and a few other launchers. I have the system and fire-fox font sizes majorly enlarged for my viewing pleasure. Got an emerald window decoration theme with oversized buttons... got my corners setup for workspace expo and window switcher...

It takes some time, but gnome can actually be set up as a pretty good touch environment. The only thing that could be better now is that the scroll-bars are a little tough to grab, but you get used to it, after a bit.

Even though screen rotation doesn't work, Document Viewer, E-Book Reader, and Picture Viewer can all rotate their content, which are the main apps I want in portrait mode anyway.

UNE isn't quite right yet, but Ubuntu can be tweaked to a good touch interface, no problem.

Beans

I agree, I think. I love Unity, but it's just not quite ready yet. I'm still using UNE though, just switched my session to gnome... and I installed compiz... but now it's great!

I have a docky dock on the left side for an application list and launcher with 60px icons, intelle-hiding (when the active window overlaps, it hides. I'm also using an oversized, auto-hidden gnome panel for my sys-tray, applications menu, and a few other launchers. I have the system and fire-fox font sizes majorly enlarged for my viewing pleasure. Got an emerald window decoration theme with oversized buttons... got my corners setup for workspace expo and window switcher...

It takes some time, but gnome can actually be set up as a pretty good touch environment. The only thing that could be better now is that the scroll-bars are a little tough to grab, but you get used to it, after a bit.

Even though screen rotation doesn't work, Document Viewer, E-Book Reader, and Picture Viewer can all rotate their content, which are the main apps I want in portrait mode anyway.

UNE isn't quite right yet, but Ubuntu can be tweaked to a good touch interface, no problem.
    I agree. I think that 11.04 UNE will be much better. Now if only April 28 would hurry up and get here!

YAY I'm back from the dead. Work has taken me away for a bit...
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast