Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast

Thread: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans

Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

I just finished setting up mine by following: http://knowledge.evot.biz/documentat...iver-on-ubuntu

only problem with that howto is it doesn't mention that beforehand you need to install linux-headers. then

ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

to check if the make-files will find them for your current kernel. (those are ` characters above and not ' characters.) i.e. you will need to get the headers for exactly the same kernel-version your autoupdate installed last. if you have done everything right in this howto you will get a white cHD logo among your panel-applets. while playing a flash-video this will become somewhat blue. (strangely, after suspend it is grey again because of being turned off.)

I should also mention that #include <linux/delay.h> is already in the newest version, the other change mentioned in the howto isn't. just put it as the first thing in the file, or down below the comments where other #include lines are located. and maybe to the hackers, after compiling the driver there will be a complaint that the module isn't really written the way modules should be written, but it works anyway. guess there's still something to do before it can be included in the kernel. so you should check the changelog regularly. if there are any news, do a git pull
    Last edited by piotr5; December 12th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ehofman View Post
    Hi,

I might have a work around for the power/kernel oops problem.

I had the same problem, but solved it as folows:

First of all use the i386 and not the x64 version of ubuntu 12.04.

Still having problems i tried upgrading the kernel manualy, from kernel version 3.4 and up i am rarley having problems with connecting power or docking.

There are some rules:
    -Boot on battery and you're fine plugging in and out the charger.
    -suspend on battery = wake-up on battery, suspend with charger/dock = wake-up with charger/dock.

If you folow these basic steps, the kernel oops will be gone (most of the time). It will eventualy oops, but now it's more like 1 in 50 times, wich is better then every time.
    I've been thinking about this... My understanding of the Kernel oops is that there are two instances of power devices being reported on the system (correct me if that's wrong),... Does anyone think a udev rule to basically ignore the extraneous power device might work to do an end-run around the oops???

Beans

About the charging issue the JolliOS kernel seems to work so maybe someone could have a look at it and see whats going on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi all!

Been a while since I've updated anything. There are some noticeable changes in 12.10 for our hardware. The power problem has been resolved. I can plug and unplug my computer without any crashes. I didn't do anything special either.

Also touchscreen works out of the box. However I would recommend installing the proprietary drivers from eGalax still. I hope since Ubuntu phone has been announced it will push touchscreen support in the full desktop version ever further.

Finally, I'm updating the guide. Trying to clean it up and add the new information. Sorry its taken so long. Hopefully I am back in the community again helping out where I can.
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

nice to see this guide isn't dead. I made a new discovery: the accelerator driver is going into the official kernel! I can't await it, it's in the release-candidate of 3.9, so I guess it will take some time till ubuntu will pick it up. here's what I did do:

copy linux-master/drivers/iio/{accel,common}/ from the zip-file provided by https://github.com/torvalds/linux into drivers/iio of my currently used linux-sources 3.7.10 (and I also copied the magnetometer directory too, but it doesn't work). then I further copied linux-master/include/linux/iio into include/linux of my sources (I didn't overwrite any existing files though). alternatively just use the rc-version directly.

in menuconfig I did choose the st_accel_i2c driver and the trigger driver as modules (in drivers/iio). the buffer driver I did leave unchecked. (compilation error if I did build that.) then compile a new kernel and restart linux to use it.

modprobe i2c_i801
    modprobe st_accel_i2c

in order to figure out what i2c to use I did do

cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-*/name

to get

SMBus I801 adapter at 5000

at the end, i.e. the last entry in the /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-* is the one I want, it's i2c-6 for me. after reading drivers/iio/accel/st_accel.h in the kernel sources I learned that the iio driver is only reacting to a device called "lsm303dlh_accel". therefore I did do

echo lsm303dlh_accel 25 >/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-6/new_device

and automatically the device was detected and I got a new /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device0 directory to play around with. for example I can do

while true ;do echo `cat /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device0/in_accel_x_raw`, `cat /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device0/in_accel_y_raw`, `cat /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device0/in_accel_z_raw` ;done

and observe how tilting my duo will decrease z-axis and increase the otherwise zero-ish value of some other axis. windows uses that for triggering screen-rotation. (I wouldn't recommend parroting that though.) but I think it would be more important to have a program detecting when the duo is in free-fall, to turn off hdd like in windows...
    Last edited by piotr5; April 3rd, 2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: st_magn doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have slowly been working on migrating my tutorial to the wiki.

Here is the link.

Dell-Duo/Inspiron-1090 Wiki

This is now an "Opensource guide." Feel free to add and contribute to the wiki.
    UA Team Member
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

Sorry, total noob here (as my son would say)… My kids seem to destroy computers with viruses, so I decided I would put Ubuntu 13.04 on my daughters Inspiron Duo. The more I have looked at Ubuntu the more I like it. I was looking at a YouTube clip about Bodhi, and how when he flipped the screen it took on a while new tablet UI. I think I found the video by reading through this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMTCXPybH4. Does Ubuntu have/do something similar? I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Thanks for all of your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It depends on your Desktop Enviroment. If you are using regular Ubuntu with Unity there isn't such a way. However if you are using KDE or another desktop enviroment you can make it possible. I have a link in the main post to a youtube video on how to setup KDE to use the signals from the lid switch.

If you want to use his desktop enviroment he is using Enlightenment
    UA Team Member

Beans

just wrote a few lines on the wiki. however, I've encountered a problem that might affect ubuntu in future: gdm now requires systemd since no other init-system supports what gnome3.8 needs. so I had to write my own eGalaxy service file for it. I'm in gentoo and there all systemd services are located in /usr/lib/systemd/, in ubuntu this might differ. I don't know if the driver for eGalaxy has been updated with systemd support, their site is unreachable. what I wrote is:

/usr/lib/systemd/system/eGalaxy.service:
    Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=eGalaxy Touch Screen Multitouch Daemon
    After=gpm.service
    After=gdm.service

[Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/eGTouchD -f
    StandardOutput=syslog
    Type=forking

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    WantedBy=graphical.target

Beans

Hi all, decided to try throwing Kubuntu 14.04 on my duo.

eGalaxy works out of the box but I installed the proprietary drivers. Only issue is that (as mentioned elsewhere) plasma doesn't seem to pick up clicks when the touchscreen is in normal mode. It registers the point position but not the click. Other applications however do register the click, so I think it's something weird in plasma. If I switch to tablet mode it doesn't register any clicks but then when I go back to desktop mode plasma registers the clicks until I click on a widget. Very strange, and I would appreciate any help tracking this down because I would love to get it working. I have seen elsewhere that KDE running on top of Debian doesn't have the same problem so I'm not sure where to start.

Also had problems getting the linked CrystalHD drivers to work but found this patched set on git which worked a treat:
    https://github.com/yeradis/crystalhd

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast