Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    You finally got your Duo!??!!
    Ha! hell no! Israeli customs officers are playing with it for a few days so they can figure out how much they want to tax me.

The readers of this thread will know when I have it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chuchaqui View Post
    Awesome find. I didn't think straight Ubuntu and UNE were that much different but I guess I was wrong.

From what I have been reading it seems like the eGalax driver is already installed in 10.10. I'm not sure if that just means Ubuntu in general or if its 10.10 Desktop.

It seems like the more I read about it the less work we should have to do. I really would like to get my multi-touch working soon but work has now picked up to where I don't have much time to work on it. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Interesting note. I followed the directions at the beginning of this thread and the result was..... interesting. The side doc becomes almost completely unpredictable. The screen though seemed (maybe) to recognize dual touch. when two fingers were on the screen the pointer shook between your two fingers. So i will play with it, the egalix calibration and such a little more and see if i get some positive results.

Beans

I had that same issue when I installed a driver for eGalax screens. The dock would randomly disappear, then come back or flutter on me. Very unstable and annoying. I think since its going between your two fingers its seeing the multi-touch. On mine if I place two fingers on the screen the mouse still stays to the one finger and never flutters.

I found a driver on eGalax Website but I wonder if it would have a calibration tool in it.

The driver I linked to DOES have a calibration tool. I'm going to try and compile it and see how it goes. I'm actually getting really excited.
    Last edited by Kirboosy; January 5th, 2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: website added
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I used this site,which was linked to in a post from the last thread, to get the calibration down.....ish. Things seem to still be unpredictable at best. Working in the shell (side doc, and such) it seems to work. Inside of programs however, things get tricky. The touchscreen, touch-pad, and even an attached usb mouse don't work properly. They don't click when you do some things, and do when you click on others.
    Shaking was perhaps the wrong word. The pointer flashes to both points your finger is touching. Multi touch commands still don't do anything. (scrolling doesn't work, expanding etc)

All in all if this is progress I don't have the know how to move much further forward. Good signs, the pointer moving, continued working of single touch(ish), and no complete collapse, but usability of the gui is now..... pretty bad
    I'm confused but I will keep looking i haven't given up on this track yet

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

TwoFinger Multi-touch touchpad (Optional if you want it)
    Run the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:plippo/t101mt
    Then....
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then....
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install eeepc-touchpad-twofingers
    REBOOT!!
    Sweet worked great thanks!

Beans

I just went to buy this and I was shocked to see the price jump $100($40 shipping!). It made me ask myself, is it worth $650 with linux on it? from the reviews I read its not worth that much with win 7 and dell's sluggish tablet UI layer, but the hardware got great reveiws. My question, does ubuntu make a signifigant ($100 or more) difference to the user experience, and how does it stack up next to a six year old, mid range(bulky)laptop for daily use?
    Last edited by robocop408; January 6th, 2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: BOUGHT ONE!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Quote Originally Posted by robocop408 View Post
    I just went to buy this and I was shocked to see the price jump $100($40 shipping!). It made me ask myself, is it worth $650 with linux on it? from the reviews I read its not worth that much with win 7 and dell's sluggish tablet UI layer, but the hardware got great reveiws. My question, does ubuntu make a signifigant ($100 or more) difference to the user experience, and how does it stack up next to a six year old, mid range(bulky)laptop for daily use?
    I am glad you bought it I think it is a great computer and the UNE makes the touch experience extremely user friendly. I am not a big fan of unity but it is very nice on the duo. Let us know how you like it.
    also you should take a look at this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6HLXtIprUg
    Last edited by w1ll1am; January 6th, 2011 at 05:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robocop408 View Post
    I think that you will be pleasantly surprised. My dad has a SSD in his laptop and my Duo can boot up slightly faster than his (and mine has a 3 second GRUB delay). As soon as we work all the bugs out it will be even awesomer (if thats a word. )

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast