Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

For those of you who are using or would like to use kvkbd as your onscreen keyboard and want it in your unity dock here is how.

1)first open a terminal and run with no sudo

Code:
     nautilus
    navigate to /home/XXXXX/.gconf/desktop/unity/lanucher/favorites. (you will have to hit ctrl + h to show hidden files and folders and XXXXXX=your user name) create a new folder called

app-kvkbd.desktop

open another folder up and copy the .xml file inside and put it into the folder you just created. once it is in the new folder open it with gedit remove everything and paste in

Code:
     <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gconf>
        <entry name="desktop_file" mtime="1293677807" type="string">
            <stringvalue>/usr/share/applications/kvkbd.desktop</stringvalue>
        </entry>
        <entry name="type" mtime="1293677807" type="string">
            <stringvalue>application</stringvalue>
        </entry>
        <entry name="priority" mtime="1294117426" type="float" value="3"/>
    </gconf>
    then save and close.

2) open a new terminal and run

Code:
     gksudo gedit /.gconf/desktop/unity/launcher/favorites/app-kvkbd.desktop/%gconf.xml
    Code:
     nautilus
    navigate to home/.gconf/desktop/unity/launcher/favorites find the app-kvkbd.desktop file and change the icon to the kvkbd icon.

the icon is located in /usr/share/icons/Humanity/apps/48 and it is called preferences-desktop-keyboard.svg

3) Run

Code:
     gconf-editor
    go to desktop/unity/launcher and click on the favorites folder (do not expand) double click on the favorites_list and add app-kvkbd.desktop.

Reboot or logout and back in and the icon should be there if you have any problems let me know.
    Last edited by w1ll1am; January 4th, 2011 at 06:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chuchaqui View Post
    I am also having problems with the headphone slot. Anyone else? I'll try to look into it some :-/ .
    I was about to ask if you had it plugged in the right port but then I realized there is only one

I'm listening to music right now through headphones. I just plugged them in for the first time and it worked no problem. Are you up to date with your updates?
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

Just in case you wanted to add it, you can also create a bootable flash drive using the dd command in OS X's terminal

Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil (e.g., hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/ubuntu.iso)

Note: OS X tends to put the .dmg ending on the output file automatically.

Run diskutil list to get the current list of devices
    Insert your flash media

Run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)
    Rundiskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 2)
    Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.img with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./ubuntu.img or ./ubuntu.dmg). < You can easily specify the file path in terminal by simply dragging the file into the shell
    Using /dev/rdisk instead of /dev/disk may be faster.
    If you see the error dd: Invalid number '1m', you are using GNU dd. Use the same command but replace bs=1m with bs=1M.
    If you see the error dd:/dev/diskN: Resource busy, make sure the disk is not in use. Start the 'Disk Utility.app' and unmount (don't eject) the drive.
    Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes
    Restart your Mac and press alt while the Mac is restarting to choose the USB-Stick

(Pulled from the 'Get UNE' page from Ubuntu.com looks somewhat daunting, but nice and easy if you can just follow some simple instructions :] )

(Also this may take a while! If you run the last command 'dd if= / of' and get a blinking cursor on the next line, leave it, that means its doing it's job, you'll know its finished when the shell tells you how much data went in and out)

OP - Apologies if this post is a bit messy, feel free to disregard if you feel this is unnecessary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Interesting post. I indeed read it, and I think I understood it well enough... now I'm just trying to figure out what it might have to do with the Inspiron duo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    Interesting post. I indeed read it, and I think I understood it well enough... now I'm just trying to figure out what it might have to do with the Inspiron duo
    You finally got your Duo!??!!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kallun View Post
    Just in case you wanted to add it, you can also create a bootable flash drive using the dd command in OS X's terminal

Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil (e.g., hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/ubuntu.iso)

Note: OS X tends to put the .dmg ending on the output file automatically.

Run diskutil list to get the current list of devices
    Insert your flash media

Run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)
    Rundiskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 2)
    Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.img with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./ubuntu.img or ./ubuntu.dmg). < You can easily specify the file path in terminal by simply dragging the file into the shell
    Using /dev/rdisk instead of /dev/disk may be faster.
    If you see the error dd: Invalid number '1m', you are using GNU dd. Use the same command but replace bs=1m with bs=1M.
    If you see the error dd:/dev/diskN: Resource busy, make sure the disk is not in use. Start the 'Disk Utility.app' and unmount (don't eject) the drive.
    Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes
    Restart your Mac and press alt while the Mac is restarting to choose the USB-Stick

(Pulled from the 'Get UNE' page from Ubuntu.com looks somewhat daunting, but nice and easy if you can just follow some simple instructions :] )

(Also this may take a while! If you run the last command 'dd if= / of' and get a blinking cursor on the next line, leave it, that means its doing it's job, you'll know its finished when the shell tells you how much data went in and out)

OP - Apologies if this post is a bit messy, feel free to disregard if you feel this is unnecessary.
    I didn't think to add Mac because I figured most of them wouldn't be caught dead with a Dell because they like their Mac so much. haha

Beans

Haha, well, that's a good enough reason! Thanks for this post by the way (and all the people that have been working to get this baby running smooth) My Duo is in the post, can't wait to start playing with it

Beans

Ok everyone I added to my original post for fixing the multi-touch touchpad. Enjoy
    Last edited by Kirboosy; January 4th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.

Beans

Nice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Has anyone thought about using Moblin on the Duo? It seems an interesting idea considering Moblin was originally an intel project, and the Duo has an intel chipset. You can find support for moblin on this forum and conical offers support for moblin as well.

This might just be over complicating things but I might just have to give it a look see. I love ubuntu but it would be interesting to see how another netbook distro would do.

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast