Thread: Sudo User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cool Sudo User

I am new to Linux and I keep running into the problem of having to authenticate every time I do anything! I have googled about adding a user to sudo so I be in root or whatever, but it doesn't work! Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong??

Beans

Re: Sudo User

sudo is a form of admin command in linux. There are many uses. For example if you are typing in terminal...to execute a command as Root (admin) the command "sudo" must be typed first. First however what are you trying to do? If you are trying to open gnome as a admin to swap files or are you trying to run terminal as admin?

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Sudo User

Initially I was just trying to copy some background images into the directory so they would show up in the box where you select them. It would be nice to be able to do what I want to do, but I just can't get the admin thing to work... Thought I would add, I have been able to run terminal in root mode(?) as admin... I am just not able to add my user name as a sudo.
    Last edited by cbarnett2486; January 3rd, 2011 at 12:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cbarnett2486 View Post
    I am new to Linux and I keep running into the problem of having to authenticate every time I do anything! I have googled about adding a user to sudo so I be in root or whatever, but it doesn't work! Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong??
    If you're prompted for a password any time you do anything, your installation isn't working correctly.

Ubuntu should prompt you for a password only every time you launch an administrative app or issue a sudo command... and then only once every 15 minutes.

If you're issuing several sudo commands in succession, you can save time by typing
    Code:
    sudo -i
    and then issuing the rest of the commands without sudo and then typing
    Code:
    exit
    to go back to a regular user prompt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cbarnett2486 View Post
    Initially I was just trying to copy some background images into the directory so they would show up in the box where you select them. It would be nice to be able to do what I want to do, but I just can't get the admin thing to work... Thought I would add, I have been able to run terminal in root mode(?) as admin... I am just not able to add my user name as a sudo.
    Creative a launcher or keyboard shortcut for the command
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    and you can copy and paste to system directories to your heart's content.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Sudo User

Thanks!! Believed it worked... I really appreciate it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

An even easier way to move pictures to the background folder is by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Change Desktop Background. Then use the Add button to add a picture.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"