Thread: Does Anyone Have a Brother HL-2170W Working Wireless?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does Anyone Have a Brother HL-2170W Working Wireless?

Just wondering. I can get it to work fine with an ethernet cable connected to my Netgear, but not matter what I setup (even using my wife's Windows lappie) I can't get it to wirelessly connect. I'm using WPA2-PSK with AES.
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Does Anyone Have a Brother HL-2170W Working Wireless?

Yeah, I have done it twice. Once about a year ago, once about a month ago. Originally I did use a Macbook to set it up. The second time, it wasn't a full reinstall, so I was able to just use one of my Ubuntu laptops.

A large problem I had, once it was set up was a problem losing its IP, so I suggest, should you ever get it (try the Windows laptop again from scratch), set it with a static IP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

working fine here. I set it up using Windows XP in Virtual Box via a USB connection to set its static IP, then Ubuntu was able to use it just fine.

In the future, I will just be sure to get a network printer that I can set the IP address directly on the printer versus having to use some special software..

Otherwise, a very good printer.
    "Despite millions of dollars of research, Death continues to be Americas number one killer."

Kingdom Computer Solutions

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanesfan66 View Post
    Yeah, I have done it twice. Once about a year ago, once about a month ago. Originally I did use a Macbook to set it up. The second time, it wasn't a full reinstall, so I was able to just use one of my Ubuntu laptops.

A large problem I had, once it was set up was a problem losing its IP, so I suggest, should you ever get it (try the Windows laptop again from scratch), set it with a static IP.
    I've already tried that one, without success.
    Quote Originally Posted by mykrob View Post
    working fine here. I set it up using Windows XP in Virtual Box via a USB connection to set its static IP, then Ubuntu was able to use it just fine.

In the future, I will just be sure to get a network printer that I can set the IP address directly on the printer versus having to use some special software..

Otherwise, a very good printer.
    My problem seems to be the printer won't let me authenticate to the router. I have WPA2-PSK AES and the web admin page requires a WEP key to be entered.

Beans
    Distro

I'm still at a loss... everything seems as though it's setup properly, as per the network config print-out of the printer itself:
    <<NETWORK CONFIGURATION>>
    <IP Settings>
    IP Address 192.168.1.5 (set manually)
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    IP Gateway 192.168.1.1
    IP Config STATIC
    <Comm. Mode> Infrastructure
    <Name (SSID)> 35moore
    <Authentication Mode> WPA/WPA2-PSK
    <Encryption Mode> AES

Beans

I know this is a year old post. But, I did not find any other post providing a solution to the same problem. So, I am sending out this solution that worked on Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64.

1). Using Synaptic install Brother-lpr-drivers-laser and brother-cups-wrapper-laser.
    2) System---->Administration----->Printing----->Add New Printer---->Network PRinter ------> Find Network Printer
    3) Type IP address of your printer in to Network Printer ----> Find ----->wait for results.
    4). I have JetDirect (192.168.#.#) with Queue "PASSTHRU".
    5).Forward ---->Apply----->Print Test Page.

That's it. FYI, I had my printer connected to the network wirelessly during the entire setup. I did not have to use hardwired connection. If your printer has never been connected to the wireless network, you may have to set the printer on your network first using hardwire.

Enjoy.
    Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've had my HL-2170W working beautifully on wifi for several months now, but am only just now trying to get it to talk to my linux boxes (until now I've just been printing from windows).

I did all the initial setup using an ethernet cable, and set it to use a static ip (I chose to use different static ip's for ethernet and wifi). At first, it wouldn't always connect to the wifi network (I'm using WPA encryption), but then, without me doing anything, it just started working. We switch it off to save power whenever we aren't using it, and it only takes around 10-15 seconds between powering on and connecting to wifi.

Beans

Thanks Maximus_ARNP, your method works well.
    --Fred.