Thread: BeOS plus Modernity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wink BeOS plus Modernity

Hi all!

I just submitted my first artistic contributions to compiz-themes.org, and I was wondering if anyone in UbuntuLand would be interested in checking out a slightly different way of looking at titlebars?

My submissions as of this post are BeBetter and BetterBeBlack, two Be-inspired looks for our favorite window decorator...

Let me know what you think!

Beans

Re: BeOS plus Modernity

I will give it a go. and then check back tomorrow if I like it or not.

Beans
    Hidden!

"Do what the **** you want."?

I think you mean "Public domain".

I can think of three problems:

• The corners. Need to be more squared.
    • The borders don't match or fit together with the titlebar.
    • The font size is too big (is not a theme problem).

I think BeBlack is much better, but could do with more contrast between the buttons and the titlebar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post

I can think of three problems:

• The corners. Need to be more squared.
    • The borders don't match or fit together with the titlebar.
    • The font size is too big (is not a theme problem).

I think BeBlack is much better, but could do with more contrast between the buttons and the titlebar.
    Thanks for pointing these out. Actually, the rounded corners are very much intentional, as I am not a fan of sharp corners (it's bad feng shui, you'd think a development team that communicated with their users regularly in haiku form would've noticed something like that ... and besides, it's 2011, dammit!). Tangent: The buttons are traditional BeButtons (because they are of an inherently self-descriptive style), but stuck on the left (read: proper) side, because of sensibility or Fitt's law or whatever.

Back to what you said: Colors are weird. The few different friends' machines I tested these on drew the blacks in subtly (yet noticeably) different ways (looks better on some, worse on others). I guess this is why graphic designers still prefer Macs

Also the pixmap backing for that kind of theme is at like 0.2. The whole thing's sort of a hack at this point... but I do plan to update it as the underlying technology is updated.

Thanks for the ganders, guys! Thing is, sometimes things make a little bit more sense some ways to some people (nailed it!), and this is how windows make sense to me, so I can only hope that someone else would find it equally fitting for their view on what windows are.

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post

Or he meant WTFPL, which I believe to be the most ideal license for projects like this.

Less ambiguity than "Public Domain", and Free enough to allow others to re-combine the work with their own.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by idi0tf0wl View Post
    Back to what you said: Colors are weird. The few different friends' machines I tested these on drew the blacks in subtly (yet noticeably) different ways (looks better on some, worse on others). I guess this is why graphic designers still prefer Macs
    There's a high chance it is just my monitor, a friend sent me a mockup for a website that he said had a blue colour scheme, and it was bright purple on my display.