Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: IP address is wrong? /etc/hosts not working

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    /..
    Beans
    269
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: IP address is wrong? /etc/hosts not working

    I meant since I'm not using wireless networking, network-manager doesn't seem to be doing me any good anyway - just an icon in my notification tray taking up space. (That would be where I'd go to select a wireless network...)

    I followed those instructions and got an interesting error:
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
    Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
    Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
    $ sudo make me a sandwich

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: IP address is wrong? /etc/hosts not working

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperHacker View Post
    I meant since I'm not using wireless networking, network-manager doesn't seem to be doing me any good anyway - just an icon in my notification tray taking up space. (That would be where I'd go to select a wireless network...)

    I followed those instructions and got an interesting error:
    Code:
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces...
    Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
    Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
    It appears you are still trying to start the networking through Network Manager. See here . Did you actually remove the Network Manager package?

    Normally you would remove the package with this command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager
    You can also just use the Synaptics package manager. Mark for complete removal when you do this.

    Can you post the content of the 3 files you directly modified?
    -BAB1

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    /..
    Beans
    269
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Unhappy Re: IP address is wrong? /etc/hosts not working

    Well, the article didn't mention removing network-manager entirely (only update-rc removing its startup entry), but I tried that and restarted and that completely disabled networking until I managed to get the package from another machine and reinstall it.

    The only file I've modified is /etc/hosts, posted above.
    $ sudo make me a sandwich

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: IP address is wrong? /etc/hosts not working

    Why do you have 127.0.1.1 commented out? Remove the hash mark, and things should work.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: IP address is wrong? /etc/hosts not working

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Why do you have 127.0.1.1 commented out? Remove the hash mark, and things should work.
    The OP does have a legit loopback address in the /etc/hosts file. See in green below:
    Code:
    #127.0.0.1	mercury	localhost.localdomain	localhost
    #127.0.0.1	mercury	localhost.localdomain	localhost
    127.0.0.1	mercury	localhost.localdomain	localhost
    -BAB1

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: IP address is wrong? /etc/hosts not working

    Quote Originally Posted by HyperHacker View Post
    Well, the article didn't mention removing network-manager entirely (only update-rc removing its startup entry), but I tried that and restarted and that completely disabled networking until I managed to get the package from another machine and reinstall it.

    The only file I've modified is /etc/hosts, posted above.
    It is okay if you just want to disable Network Manager, rather than removing it. You then need to manually configure the interfaces.

    You can manually configure the IP addressing by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file. You also need to configure the IP addresses of the DNS server(s) you are going to use by manually editing the /etc/resolv.conf file. Once you have done this you will want to map host names to IP addresses with the /etc/hosts file.

    When you have done the configuring the interfaces you can cycle the interfaces with this
    Code:
    ifdown -a
    ifup -a
    This will down the interfaces listed in /etc./network/interfaces and then bring them up again with the new configuration.

    Here is a similar explanation.

    If you have questions, ask before you modify the files. Once again: If you post the outputs of those 3 files I will give you working examples.
    -BAB1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •