Thread: New year, new laptop

Beans

Question New year, new laptop

Hello guys,
    i've a almost-5-years-old HP compaq NC6400 powered with Ubuntu. Sadly, today the cooling fan stopped working and i am planning to buy a new laptop.

(Do you have an idea about how much money HP customer service asks for fan substitution ?)

I was thinking to buy an HP ElitePro 2740p, because:

• It's an HP small business machine, like my NC6400, and i totally loved it for its resistance and hp customer care.
    • it's certified for linux (Suse )
    • it's a tablet

Question for tablet-laptop owners: do you think it's worth to buy a tablet and use it with Ubuntu ? Are the convertible functionalities working well-enough ? A non-laptop machine with the same power is cheaper...

tablet/non-tablet issue apart, which laptop would you suggest?

I need:
    • to study and develop (90% of the time); play some game (10% of the time)
    • a very light laptop, so: screen-size <= 14 (when i play i use an external monitor)
    • 4 gigs (and one free slot) of RAM
    • ssd disk
    • hopefully long-lasting battery: i move very often

What do you think about DELL machines? they seem to have the best Ubuntu support..

Thank you!

O( n )

Beans

Re: New year, new laptop

I can answer the Dell part right away.

Be careful of their customer support. I don't own any Dell machines and I never will but I know two people irl who had Dell computers and had an extremely hard time with their customer support... and they aren't the only ones.
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've generally liked the Dell machines I have owned, but their customer service is pretty legendary for being awful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hear lots of bad about Dell also. A friend of mine had a Dell but the motherboard fried after about 2 years.

Why not take a look at System76 or ZaReason? They have out-of-the-box Linux support. ZaReason has a nice selection of distros and lots of configuration options.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post

Why not take a look at System76 or ZaReason? They have out-of-the-box Linux support. ZaReason has a nice selection of distros and lots of configuration options.
    I gave a look to both producers websites, but their machines seem not very powerful.

The only option would be a lemur ultra thin: http://www.system76.com/product_info...9mgm5olg0n68p1

but i don't think it's very wise buying an laptop today with a Core i3-330UM Processor. I want to buy a laptop for the next 4 years

O( n )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I own a 2740p ill try ubuntu in about (a few days to a week). If u have any questions on it fire away. Let me note, besides the price its a great laptop so if ur willing to spend the money its great .

Note i only tested windows & Buis for now (have it for little over a month now).