Thread: grub2 not listing windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

grub2 not listing windows 7

hi, big fan, want to get this working, I am trying to dual boot win 7 and ubuntu 10.10. I have separate hard drives for each os 60g ssd for win 7 and 160g hhd for ubuntu and 2-1 tb storage drives, I installed win 7 first, worked fine, bought a copy of "Linux format" in december, had a copy of ubuntu 10.10 so I installed it . Upon boot grub does not see my windows 7 os, just ubuntu10.10. How do I get grub 2 to see the other os?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: grub2 not listing windows 7

Try two things.

First, open a terminal, and:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    If that doesn't work, I've come across a couple of cases where the app os-prober - which is responsible for detecting other operating systems for grub - was not installed. That is quite inexplicable because os-prober should be part of a default installation. Nevertheless, open System > Administration > Synaptic. See if os-prober is installed. If it isn't, install it and run 'sudo update-grub' again.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

thank you for replying, got it working by typing in the terminal

sudo apt-get install os-prober
    now grub sees it and its working fine, thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by carvish View Post
    thank you for replying, got it working by typing in the terminal

sudo apt-get install os-prober
    now grub sees it and its working fine, thank you
    I'm curious - are you using lubuntu? I know that it wasn't 'shipping' with os-prober but wasn't aware of other Ubuntu distros which didn't include it.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    I'm curious - are you using lubuntu? I know that it wasn't 'shipping' with os-prober but wasn't aware of other Ubuntu distros which didn't include it.
    The OP installed from the Linux Format DVD, so I'm wondering if os-prober went awol somewhere in the remastering. One of the cases I came across was on the Linux Format forum. The other was on this forum. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: yes, here it is. Seemingly confirmed in Ubuntu 10.10. Odd

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1647659
    Last edited by coffeecat; January 2nd, 2011 at 01:28 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks coffeecat. I do seem to vaguely remember that now that you have dug it up...
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    ubuntu 10.10
    Last edited by drs305; January 2nd, 2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Formatting