Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can I block people from using my wireless network

Beans

How Can I block people from using my wireless network

Hai! I was wondering how can I see who is using my wireless router to connect to my Internet connection, and how can I block them so they can't access it. THX

Beans

Re: How Can I block people from using my wireless network

Well, have you applied any encryption to your wireless network?
    If not, do it now (wpa2 recommended).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

set your router up so that only specific MAC Addresses are allowed.
    Hide your SSID.

there are many howto in the net

Beans

Well I have a password on it. However I wanted to block out my brother from using it. He knows the password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

change the pass

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Florenceblues View Post
    Well I have a password on it. However I wanted to block out my brother from using it. He knows the password.
    Solution 1: Punch him on the nose.
    Solution 2: Change wifi password, as well as your router password (so he can't change the wifi password).
    Solution 3: As ruben_linux said, whitelist your mac address only and let him wonder why he can't connect.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Of course, you always want to use connection security for all connections. Old routers used WEP keys; newer ones use WPA2. The security key prevents secure connections and prevents random passersby from connecting.

On a Linksys home router, for example, this would often be found in the Wireless -> Wireless Security --> Security mode settings. You can set the key there and then copy your chosen key to each computer that will connect to the network.

You could also stop broadcasting the SSID (which on Linksys home routers is often a Wireless -> Basic Wireless Settings -> Wireless SSID broadcast setting), although this sometimes makes it difficult for your approved computers to automatically connect if they tend to connect to several different routers. (I personally don't do this).

The most secure way (IMO) is to restrict the MAC addresses allowed to connect to your wireless router.

This is a pretty iron-clad way to limit who can connect to your wireless network. I use it on all my wireless networks.

On a Linksys home router, for example, Wireless -> Wireless MAC filter -> Edit MAC filter list.

You will need to find out the wireless networking card's MAC address for each computer and enter it into this list.

On any Linux computer you can discover the MAC address of the wireless interface (usually wlan0 or possibly wlan1) by using the command-line terminal (Terminal or Konsole) and entering

ifconfig

This will display the Hardware Address (HWaddr) for each networking interface (the HWAddr is the same as the MAC address). Copy the HWAddr for wlan0 (or wlan1, depending on which one is your primary wireless interface) into the MAC filter list on the router.

The MAC address should be entered in the format 12:34:56:78:aa:bb (make sure to include the colons).

Once the MAC addresses for the wireless interfaces of every computer (for which you intend to allow access to the wireless network) is entered, then enable filtering by choosing the "Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network" option (or something similar.

It is very unlikely that an intruder could spoof one of the MAC addresses on the filter list and also acquire the WPA2 (or WEP) security key for your network as well. The combination of these two security measures would make a wireless network pretty secure. An intruder would have to physically have access to a computer on the network and copy the details onto their computer. (But if they had that type of physical access, they already would be on the network, wouldn't they?)
    Last edited by perspectoff; January 1st, 2011 at 08:48 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Florenceblues View Post
    What you have is a social issue, not a software issue. As long as he has physical access to the router and sufficient knowledge, he can just do a manual reset on the gateway (I assume it's an Internet gateway) and then he could lock you out.

You need to be able to agree on boundaries and have him respect your wishes if you have the authority to deny him use of "your" router. If it is a family router, then there still has to be some compromise and agreement.

Beans

How can i see wht my network is called?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by QLee View Post
    What you have is a social issue, not a software issue. As long as he has physical access to the router and sufficient knowledge, he can just do a manual reset on the gateway (I assume it's an Internet gateway) and then he could lock you out.

You need to be able to agree on boundaries and have him respect your wishes if you have the authority to deny him use of "your" router. If it is a family router, then there still has to be some compromise and agreement.
    Ha ha. Sounds funny but it is a real-world security issue.

I actually have my routers at work (and at home, actually) enabled with a password so that the settings can't be changed without the router password. I then have them locked in an inaccessible cabinet or box.

I also do this on all my computers, by the way, on which I have both a BIOS password and a lock on all the cases (to prevent a hardware reset from the motherboard). I then restrict bootup to a password-protected hard drive (so that LiveCD's/ LiveUSB's can not be booted and used to alter the hard drive).

Not only do troublesome siblings (or kids in my case) try to screw things up, but also disgruntled or otherwise meddlesome employees.
    Last edited by perspectoff; January 1st, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast