Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia Optimus and Ubuntu explained

Beans

Re: nVidia Optimus and Ubuntu explained

Quote Originally Posted by iliant View Post
    Is there any real advantage to enabling NVIDIA and installing their proprietary driver (after disabling the Intel graphics)?
    Theres a few. VDPAU, much better 3D performance.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbystas View Post
    Anybody who can name specific models and bios version that have such an option option?In my case, an asus n61jv ver 2.0x (dont remeber exactly)there is no such option. Although the vendor has issued several newer bios versions, the history file of changes is very poor on description, so the only way to find out is to update your bios (or maybe send an e-mail to asus but im not sure if there is going to be any response). since bios updating, to my perception, is a very risky procedure and should not be applied if there is no necessity, i am trying to gather information for my laptop on that, so i won't have to update the bios for nothing and risking to turn my laptop in to a brick. And if anyone has any information on that direction would be a benefit for all, i thing. Like listing models with specific bios versions that are known to have a graphics switching option. So anybody has any information to share?
    Sometimes you can get thing like 'force nvidia' via BIOS updates, and sometimes you will lose those sorts of options. Eg dell vostro 3700-

http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1628590

I see what you mean about 'poor on description'. Lame. Manufacturers used to give youa full list of what the BIOS update did, not meaningless junk like asus has for the BIOS pages for the N61Jv-

BIOS 222
    Fix there are noises under AC mode.
    As for a list of all known models with a BIOS switch to force nvidia (or disable intel)- nice idea, but I dont know of any.

I dont see BIOS updating as that risky. A lot easier to do BIOS updates from a USB stick than like it was in the past with floppies. Still, its not without risk, and its not something I'd do for fun.
    Last edited by cascade9; January 24th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

I only need to know how to run nvidia card If there is not such an option in BIOS. I can only switch to "Reserved" mode that switch my laptop to Intel Card only. Is there such a posibility to run NVIDIA drivers?

My laptop ASUS K52JC model ... and only Windows 7 can handle all the stuff inside. NVIDIA Optimus sucks on linux - thats a pitty... :/

Beans

Thanks 3602, for your clear explanations!

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 x64 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 and I can actually change my GPU preferences in my BIOS to Intel HD or nVidia Optimus or nVidia NVS 3100M

If I choose Intel HD or nVidia Optimus everything works fine only that when choosing nVidia Optimus. The command:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    displays:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev ##)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device #### (rev ##)
    Just as 3602 showed.
    On the other hand if I choose nVidia NVS 3100M the resolution is very low.

So far for my experiences.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

On the other hand if I choose nVidia NVS 3100M the resolution is very low.

..not if you installed the NVIDIA driver then.

.................................................. ..........................
    Stumbled about this thread,and after answering lots of optimus related graphic problems here in the forum (also was about creating an optimus thread) in the last days/weeks (all the optimus christmas gifts?)I am going to link all related posts to this thread.
    Thanks,OP!

Anyway,is it possible to make this thread sticky although it is kinda
    proprietary problem?
    At last jockey should be stopped from offering NVIDIA drivers for optimus
    machines.
    Last edited by realzippy; February 1st, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks 3602 for the explanation. I have an Asus N73J with NVIDIA GT335M (it is an Optimus) graphic card. I installed the restricted driver, but then it would not start in graphic mode. If I delete the xorg.conf it works, but I can not enable Compiz. So I wonder: Can I never use Compiz with this pc? I use Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit.

Johan, Norway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ Johan

You should uninstall the nvidia driver,not only delete the xorg.conf
    to make the intel driver work as it formerly should have done.
    Here on optimus lappy
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    does a great job in compiz..
    Last edited by realzippy; February 2nd, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@ realzippy
    I removed the driver and rebooted, now it starts in graphic mode, but when I try to enable graphic effects and animations, it tries some seconds, but says "Desktop effects can not be activated" (or something like that - I have Norwegian lang.)

So, it works ok, but I would like to see the softer more friendly screens Compiz offers.

Edit: The xorg.conf is now empty. Should it be?

Edit 2: Solved! I still have no xorg.conf, but I inastalled Emerald and Cairo Dock, suddenly Compiz woke up! Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by johan_olsen; February 3rd, 2011 at 06:31 AM.

Beans

Hi people!

I have ASUS N73J laptop with integrated Intel graphic + Nvidia gt 425M graphic card, Optimus tech. While in win7, I have LED indicator showing which graphic is active; it is blue while integrated gpu is active and white while high performance Nvidia is active.

In Ubuntu, indicator is white from the beginning (OS installation), and in win it would mean that Nvidia gpu is active. I haven't installed any recommended gpu drivers because I lose picture when I install them.

My question is : Is Nvidia really activated or is it a false reading due to driver lacking? And can I somehow find out which gpu is active?

PS. I do not need Nvidia in Ubuntu; I would prefer to run on integrated gpu. I will use it mainly for programming.

Thanx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Welcome to the forum!

Run
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    ...guess both are activated;Intel in use and Nvidia just sucking battery power...check your BIOS for a switch.

Beans

this is response to your code

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0df0 (rev a1)
    in BIOS, I didn't find an option to select gpu , but I will investigate the matter further

anyway, thank you for your quick response

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast