Thread: Compiz Desktop cube kills compiz

Beans

Compiz Desktop cube kills compiz

Hi guys,

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 to my Dell inspiron laptop, it works I like it, i have only one problem. I use gnome classic desktop, istalled compiz and ccsm as on my other boxes. When I set up compiz using ccsm and click start desktop cube the widgets of all windows dissappeared. I can restart them usinnk "matacity --replace" in terminal but compoziting doesn't work after this. Restarting of computer doesn't help. I reinstalled the machine, and the same happaned again. I like desktop cube I want it back.
    I used it on this notebook with 10.10 and 10.04 I am sure it can work on 11.04 too, please help me guys.
    SzG

Beans

Re: Compiz Desktop cube kills compiz

Compiz has problems with 11.04. I suggest you bring back 10.10 because 11.04 is still in alpha 1. It's the kind of thing you run on an old computer you brought back from the dead instead of your main computer, or in a virtual machine. It's just unstable, and not worth using for anything other than testing. For example, I have 11.04 on a computer I built, and all my windows disappear whenever I minimize them, and firefox has two exit button rows.

Beans

I know it is just alpha, but handles suspend much better and from any other view seemed me stable. I experiences similar on 10.10 too on other machine, so m,aybe not directly natty related poblem I have.

Beans

It may perhaps be too late, but I suggest installing a fall back desktop; for example Xubuntu has perfectly good composition, window management etc etc and is actually rather stable in 11:04 (mind it is still a beta) The only downside is you have to mind some of the shared configs prior to switching back to gnome. Nothing major, a few little things like remembering that the auto start programs you want in xfce might not be the same as the ones you want in gnome... None the less it can provide a nice fallout shelter if you will, when things get too harry with compiz without requiring you to retreat to 10:10