Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youtube

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Youtube

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 lynx recently and I installed a flash plugin to mozilla firefox but I can't play videos on Youtube, however Newgrounds works just fine. Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Youtube

You need the non-free flash plug-in.

Search in synaptic or do this:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect

You will need to uninstall the flash plugin you have now.

This same thing happened to me also.

How this Helps!

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Try Flash-Aid from forum member lovinglinux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sjhaffner View Post
    You need the non-free flash plug-in.

Search in synaptic or do this:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect

You will need to uninstall the flash plugin you have now.

This same thing happened to me also.

How this Helps!

Ok, I've uninstalled the flash player in Ubuntu Software Center but I don't know what version to download from adobe.com

Beans

I downloaded APT for Ubuntu 9.04+ because in using 10.04 like you are and it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Flash is in the repos, but the suggestion to use flash aid may be the correct one for you. It is a firefox addon, and when you run it, it will purge all existing flash, and install the correct version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Once you get your flash problems sorted you might want to use the html5 version of youtube instead. Since hi-res flash video is still really crummy on most linux installs.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Click "Join the HTML5 Trial" at the bottom of the page to start using it instead.
    Last edited by |{urse; January 1st, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by steve161 View Post
    Flash is in the repos, but the suggestion to use flash aid may be the correct one for you. It is a firefox addon, and when you run it, it will purge all existing flash, and install the correct version.
    Thank you, that worked.
    What do you mean with "Flash being in the repos" also, how come Flash is such a pain to install?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome96 View Post
    Thank you, that worked.
    What do you mean with "Flash being in the repos" also, how come Flash is such a pain to install?
    The "repos" are the repositories. Repositories are the places that package managers (eg: synaptic, Ubuntu Software Center, apt-get) get the packages.

I wasn't quite thinking of ease when I first posted, but you could have opened up synaptic or the Software Center and installed 'flashplugin-nonfree' That's what was meant by it "Being in the repos"

Hope this helps you with future problems!

P.S. - I never knew about 'Flash-Aid', but that's awesome, and probably the easiest way for new users of Linux. But, it is still good to know how to do that type of stuff on your own. (You may run into the same problem with Java as well.)
    Last edited by sjhaffner; January 1st, 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: I thought of a little bit more to add!

Beans

I removed adobe-flashplugin and flashplugin-nonfree... and I downloaded the deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ for my Hardy Box... from the adobe website... pretty much what the plugin does...

The plug-in did not work for me however... and kept crashing on my firefox 3.6.14-pre browser

Works now! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast