Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Error: "Desktop Effects cannot be enabled"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Error: "Desktop Effects cannot be enabled"

Quote Originally Posted by realzippy View Post
    @ swatsbiz

since this thread is nvidia-driver related I highly recommend to open an own thread,or things might get complicated here...
    Thanks will do ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm back, finally.

@BicyclerBoy - So I'm ready to give the blacklisting idea a shot here. I'm at a loss for other options. If I blacklist the Noveaux Driver, will I need to reverse this once things are working properly? If so, how would I do that?

Thanks,

-Val

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Before you go about trying random things, you should try to narrow down the problem.

First of all, please post the current output of compiz-check.
    Additionally the output of
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep "nvidia\|fglrx"
    In both cases, please use the forum's [CODE] tag (# button in the editor)

The installed packages you posted earlier indicate that you were trying to install the nvidia driver "manually" or by script, is that the case?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"compiz-check" returns "command not found."

dpkg -l | grep "nvidia\|fglrx"
    returns:

Code:
    ii  fglrx                                     2:8.723.1-0ubuntu5                              Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerato
    ii  fglrx-amdcccle                            2:8.723.1-0ubuntu5                              Catalyst Control Center for the ATI graphics
    ii  fglrx-modaliases                          2:8.723.1-0ubuntu5                              Identifiers supported by the ATI graphics dr
    ii  nvidia-173                                173.14.22-0ubuntu11                             NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and
    ii  nvidia-173-kernel-source                  173.14.22-0ubuntu11                             Transitional package for nvidia-glx-173-kern
    ii  nvidia-173-modaliases                     173.14.22-0ubuntu11                             Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
    ii  nvidia-96                                 96.43.17-0ubuntu1                               NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and
    ii  nvidia-96-kernel-source                   96.43.17-0ubuntu1                               Transitional package for nvidia-glx-96-kerne
    ii  nvidia-96-modaliases                      96.43.17-0ubuntu1                               Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
    ii  nvidia-common                             0.2.23                                          Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
    ii  nvidia-current                            195.36.24-0ubuntu1~10.04                        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and
    ii  nvidia-current-modaliases                 195.36.24-0ubuntu1~10.04                        Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
    ii  nvidia-kernel-common                      20080825+1ubuntu2                               NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
    ii  nvidia-settings                           195.36.08-0ubuntu2                              Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv
    And yes, I was using both the terminal and synaptic, the latter mostly if not only in Gnome.
    Last edited by Valkyr333; February 11th, 2011 at 03:09 AM.
    -Val

Beans
    Distro

Compiz-Check is the script you linked in your first posting, you'll most probably have to run it like this in the terminal:
    Code:
    ./compiz-check
    Post it's output here, because wee need to know exactly what hardware is detected. You have both an ATI as well as several nvidia drivers installed. This is a problem.
    Last edited by Forlong; February 11th, 2011 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the clarification. The result of ./compiz-check is...

Code:
     Distribution:          Ubuntu 10.04
     Desktop environment:   KDE4
     Graphics chip:         nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)
     Driver in use:         nouveau
     Rendering method:      None

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...  [SKIP]

Checking for hardware/setup problems...           [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:
     Error: No rendering method in use (AIGLX, Xgl or Nvidia)
    Okay, so would the idea be to remove the ATI and all but the most relevant of the Nvidia drivers?
    -Val

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I'd recommend un-installing all of them:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge fglrx fglrx-amdcccle nvidia-173 nvidia-173-kernel-source nvidia-173-modaliases nvidia-96 nvidia-96-kernel-source nvidia-96-modaliases nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-kernel-common
    Afterwards, run this for a clear config:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    Finally, reboot and see if there's a driver listed at System → Administration → Additional Drivers

Edit: sorry, missed that you are on KDE. I'm not sure where it's located there, in case you don't know either, running this command should do the job:
    Code:
    jockey-kde
    Last edited by Forlong; February 11th, 2011 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am having the same problems and ran the compiz check and now gnome do isn't working, no titles on any windows are showing up.

Fixable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I rebooted and my title bars are back, but still no desktop effects.

I have been told that there is a command taht will let ubuntu automatically detect your graphics card and download needed drivers. I was told it started with "dpkg" and had something to do w/ xorg.

Beans
    Distro

Compiz-Check does not change anything on your system (unless you specifically tell it to in certain cases).

Post its output here, so people can try to help you with your case.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast