Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install Canon PIXMA MG6120 or other 6100 series Printer

Beans

Install Canon PIXMA MG6120 or other 6100 series Printer

I received the Canon MG6120 as a Christmas present and found that I could not install the printer nor scanner, after much searching I found the answers but hoped this would help. Go to...

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/?personal

Then select: -
    Product category: Multifunctional Printers
    Product Series: PIXMA
    Model: PIXMA MG6170 (closest to 6120 but drive is for all 6100 series)
    Document type: Drivers and Software

Hit Find...

Then either go through the pages or use the Sear within these results to search for linux and download the following two drivers to your computer.

MG6100 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.40 for Linux (debian ... MG6100 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.40 for Linux (debian Packagearchive). ... OS.
    Linux. Detail. Thank you for using the IJ Printer Driver for Linux. ...
    support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0100301802.html - 80k - 2010-09-03

MG6100 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.60 for Linux (debian ... MG6100 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.60 for Linux (debian Packagearchive). ... OS. Linux.
    Detail. Thank you for using the ScanGear MP for Linux. ...
    support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0100303102.html - 78k - 2010-09-03

Once downloaded Extract the files to a location where you can find them.
    Then use "Places" to find the folders
    1) "cnijfilter-mg6100series-3.40-1-deb"
    2) "scangearmp-mg6100series-1.60-1-deb"

For each folder: -
    1) open the
    "packages" sub-folder
    2) double click on the appropriate .deb file (386 or amd) which will open the Ubuntu Software Center
    3) Installing the "-common" file first and then the "-mg6100series" file.

So you should have installed 4 total drivers.
    You can now add the printer and scan (from GIMP only unfortunately) either via USB or via Network.

Good Luck

Beans

Re: Install Canon PIXMA MG6120 or other 6100 series Printer

Good News thanks for the post. I have a mg6150 which works with these.

Just for info:

"You can now add the printer and scan (from GIMP only unfortunately) either via USB or via Network."

You don't need Gimp - if you launch scangearmp from a terminal or create a launcher on the desktop with that command you can launch the scanner utility - You may need to ask it to search for scanners if you are on a network tho.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

Beans

Thanks, this makes it easier

Beans

I just set mine up using drivers from the following site:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010892.asp

The page will be for an "MG6140" but the drivers work just great for the 6120. I have mine set up on a wireless network.

Download the drivers for the printer and for the scanner. Inside the .tar archives, look for the files ending in deb.tar.gz. Extract the files in this archive and run install.sh.

The printer should be listed in the printers list.
    Scangearmg should find the scanner.
    Last edited by glombool; January 11th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.

Beans

Thanks, it's working perfectly fine but ...
    I can't change the resolution, I just have 600dpi, my printer (MG6130) should be able to print on 9600x2400dpi

Do you have the same problem ?

Beans

No one has a clue ?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Note that the install script that comes with the print drivers doesn't seem to run in Karmic Koala. If you are unable to install using the script or simply don't want to use it then do the following. This assumes that the printer is set up as a network printer and not attached via USB.

1. Install the print drivers and the scangear drivers with the debs (double-click them).

2. Make sure the printer is turned on and run "scangearmp" from a terminal or from alt-f2.

3. Let the scangear app find the printer and note the mac address which is the string of numbers separated by dashes in parenthesis.

4. Go to System > Administration > Printing

5. Add a printer, select "Other", and enter the following in the device URI field, but using the numbers reported by the scangear: cnijnet:/00-11-22-33-44-55

6. Select "Canon" and then "MG6100" (note that it does not start with Pixma)

There is also a guide to install manually from the command line in the guide included with the download at http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0040261.asp but perhaps these instructions will be easier for some.

Also note that the guide suggests that it may be necessary to install the printer on a windows system first or attached via USB before it will work in a network configuration with this driver.

Beans

I also have a number of issues:
    * Impossible to print in grayscale - I only get RGB
    * I can't find where to select the print quality...

Suggestions to any of those problems welcome!
    Last edited by Yann2; March 18th, 2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: found the amd64 driver

Beans

OK replying to myself here: I'm having some success using this: http://loginspires.livejournal.com/2033.html

I've got the grayscale to work (at least it prints gray when I select it and print a colour file, i hope it uses the right cartridges) - when selecting a different quality it doesnt want to print, so I guess I need to work a bit more on it. So glad the grayscale works at least

EDIT: Damn it might be my eyes at fault but printing in lower quality (the quality setting seem to work, I can see the quality difference and it takes longer to print higher quality) it seems that the grayscale setting does NOT work - as opposed to what is claimed on many blogs. Selecting it will indeed print in grayscale, but the small dots seem to be coloured, ie I believe it uses the colour cartridges. This is an issue
    Last edited by Yann2; March 18th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.

Beans

Thanks to Yann2's advice, I was able to make grayscale and quality settings work. To get this to work for you in Lucid 10.04, first follow the original poster antonyhand's steps to install the MG6100 series printer drivers. If you choose all the defaults and do a network (wireless) install, you should have a printer called MG6100LAN in your System-> Administration-> Printing view. Also, you should have a file MG6100LAN.ppd in /etc/cups/ppd. Edit this PPD file and replace the following lines

Code:
    *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 600dpi
    *Resolution 600dpi/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution

*OpenUI *ColorModel/Color Model: PickOne
    *DefaultColorModel: rgb
    *ColorModel rgb/RGB: "<</cupsColorOrder 0/cupsColorSpace 1/cupsCompression 0/cupsBitsPerColor 8>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *ColorModel
    with

Code:
    *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 300dpi
    *Resolution 300dpi/300 dpi: "<</HWResolution[300 300]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 600dpi/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 1200/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution[1200 1200]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 2400/2400 dpi: "<</HWResolution[2400 2400]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution

*OpenUI *ColorModel/Color Model: PickOne
    *DefaultColorModel: rgb
    *ColorModel rgb/RGB: "<</cupsColorOrder 0/cupsColorSpace 1/cupsCompression 0/cupsBitsPerColor 8>>setpagedevice"
    *ColorModel RGB16/RGB 16-bit: "<</cupsColorOrder 0/cupsColorSpace 1/cupsCompression 0/cupsBitsPerColor 16>>setpagedevice"
    *ColorModel Black/Grayscale Fast: "<</cupsColorOrder 0/cupsColorSpace 3/cupsCompression 0/cupsBitsPerColor 1>>setpagedevice"
    *ColorModel Gray/Grayscale: "<</cupsColorOrder 0/cupsColorSpace 0/cupsCompression 0/cupsBitsPerColor 8>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *ColorModel

*OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
    *DefaultCNQuality: 4
    *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
    *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
    *CNQuality 4/Economy: "4"
    *CloseUI: *CNQuality

*OpenUI *CNGrayscale/Grayscale: Boolean
    *DefaultCNGrayscale: True
    *CNGrayscale True/Yes: True
    *CNGrayscale False/No: False
    *CloseUI: *CNGrayscale
    Save the edited PPD file and you should now be able to print in grayscale and economy (those have been set as defaults).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast