Thread: Tweaking Nautilus' file sorting order?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Tweaking Nautilus' file sorting order?

I've recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu and have a question regarding tweaking the character order Nautilus uses for alphabetical sorting. In my music/graphics/etc folder hierarchies, I have used a hyphen at the start as a 'hack' to 'sticky' some folders above the rest for quicker access. This worked fine in Windows, but Nautilus ignores a hyphen in it's sorting calculations. Is there anyway, simple or complex to replicate this behaviour in Nautilus? Thanks for any help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Tweaking Nautilus' file sorting order?

That's an interesting one. All the non-alphabetic symbols I've used don't make a difference, but if you preface the folder name with a numeric character, it does get "stickied" before the others. However, a single number such as 0 or 1 doesn't stand out enough and is easily confused as part of the folder name, but you could use a number followed by two hyphens. Try:

0--nameoffolder

or

1--nameoffolder

You can still clearly read the folder name and you could have a hierarchy of "stickied" folders that way.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

hmm, at least that would work, ta for the idea. er, i know there's probably a way to script something to change all existing folders begining with "- " - could anyone give me a pointer as to what i should be looking at? at least if a better solution comes up, it shouldn't be too hard to revert the names back!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use pyRenamer for this sort of tasks, it has a GUI. There may be some command line tools, which can also do this.

Thanks for the tip with the numbers, coffeecat. I have the same setup as milkmiruku, initially set up in Windows a few years ago, overlooking this issue in Linux until now.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Tweaking Nautilus' file sorting order?

In Nautilus you can also add emblems to important folders and set Sort by Emblem