Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoW FPS Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WoW FPS Problem

Hi, i am experiencing low FPS in World of Warcraft.

I am using 10.04 LTS and wine version 1.2 with a GeForce 9500 GT card with the proprietary drivers.

If someone can tell me how to get the terminal output i can give you that.

I get around 15-25fps in most areas which is fine but it gets annoying when in the more populated areas as it drops to around 2-5fps. Whereas in windows i used to get around 50-60fps.

I have everything set on the lowest settings in the ingame settings, but if you look at the following picture, you will see that the game doesnt allow me to select anything higher.

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2w22d5u.jpg

Also, when i press 'play' on the launcher, the sound plays fine, but after that, i get no ingame sound, this isn't too much of a problem as most of the sounds annoy me anyways, but if its an easy fix then i might aswell ask.

any help is appreciated, thankyou

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: WoW FPS Problem

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=20549

Have you done the tweaks suggested at winehq?
    MY KID <<<<<<

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes i have tried all the things that apply to me but none of them helped, even using opengl didnt increase fps at all

Beans

- Disable compiz/desktop effects.
    - Check if hw acceleration is working: >glxinfo | grep render
    - Verify if your results in Unigine, glxgears, etc. are comparable to others
    - Update wine to newest version - v1.2 is very old.
    - Disable debugging in wine: >export WINEDEBUG=-all
    - Try different registry settings, gfx-related (direct3D, opengl, X11)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hey thanks for the reply

1. disabled it and got a slight fps increase, nothing major though just 1-2 fps

2. direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9500 GT/PCI/SSE2
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,

3. not sure what you meant by this one, im not too good with ubuntu.

4. i went to upgrade it from the wine site and it says 1.2 is the most recent stable version, the later version is still beta. should i install the beta?

5. + 6. again im not too sure what you meant by these.

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I *think* if you launch the game using the Launcher.exe it doesn't use opengl (or it didn't for me the the past) so I always launch the game directly using "wine Wow.exe -opengl" just to be sure.

What version nvidia drivers are you running?
    Have you tried running the game in windowed or windowed (fullscreen) mode?

You can try out wine 1.3 to see if it makes any difference, but Wow performance has been pretty close between stable and developer versions. Developer versions tend to be for stability, graphical bug fixes and support for newer hardware but that sometimes introduces new bugs.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1.3 works perfectly fine for WoW Cata. I've been running it since it became available

Look at the wine website for how to add 1.3 to your system.

As for low FPS, it's a combo of MANY things:

A 9500GT is NOT a good card for games. The amount of data it can pump out is almost too low, even for WoW (Which, by the way, is getting more and more graphics heavy EVERY patch. My FPS on a 9600GSO-768MB/AMDx2/4GB went from 60-70 to 45-55 from WotLK to Cata. And my 9600GSO has WAY more memory path width(192 vs 128 ), ROPs, and cuda cores(96 vs 32) than your 9500GT).

Another bottleneck is memory. A min amount to even THINK of running WoW/wine is 2GB, 4GB REALLY makes a difference.

And your CPU is THE biggest bottleneck (after graphics). Even though WoW is a "single core 32bit app" it is such a resource hog that at a min, you should have a 2core, and more cores are even better. A quad-core will make things run MUCH better. And Ghz helps.(Guess what my NEXT upgrade will be? A mobo and 6+ core 3+Ghz CPU)

So, in conclusion, your FPS with a 9500GT is NOT going to be high. And if you have a dualcore or less CPU, even lower, and lower memory, even less.

Hope this explains things a bit.
    Last edited by cwwilson721; January 1st, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the reply,

i have 4GB RAM so that shouldn't be a problem, my CPU is very old, single core, its just awful. however in windows i got 50fps easily in the major cities/sanc's so i figured theres no need to upgrade it.

i do however realise that wine will not be the same as running it in windows, do you think a CPU upgrade would drastically improve the fps?

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sorry tweak42 didn't see your post, i tried it in windowed mode and it didnt make much of a difference

i am using 'NVIDIA accelarated graphics driver (version current)(recommended)'

and i will give 1.3 a try and let you know

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you want as much FPS as you can, turn down EVERYTHING. NO AA, no shadows, close view distance, EVERYTHING.

Then, turn things up a bit at a time, until you get a happy medium between FPS and "eyecandy" (When I raid, my view distance is low, but I have my particles on medium. I'd rather have higher DPS than having LK look good...)
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast