Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QGIS 1.6 on 10.10 Maverick MrSid files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

QGIS 1.6 on 10.10 Maverick MrSid files

So here we go again,

Another Ubuntu distro, another QGIS version, but still the same hassles of trying to get QGIS in Ubuntu to take MrSid raster file formats. I just did a fresh install of 10.10 and added the unstable qgis ppa to my software sources as follows.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/u...nstable/ubuntu maverick main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/u...nstable/ubuntu maverick main

However, the same problem as before, we need to add gdal, and the MrSid plugin in order to be able to use sid file formats.

Alas, no tutorial seem to be up yet explaining how to do this in 10.10. The previous tutorial at http://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/wiki/TutorialMrSid is using a different sdk version from http://www.lizardtech.com/developer . Now lizardtech has released a version 8 sdk, and no explanation of how it should be installed. Alas I'm not geek enough to be able to work out how to do this myself.

If anyone can shed some light into how to set up the new sdk and add the mrsid plugin, it would be most appreciated.

Regards,
    BigBaka

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: QGIS 1.6 on 10.10 Maverick MrSid files

Is it not simply exactly the same as the tutorial above, but with the version numbers changed appropriately? So for example,

Code:
    sudo gdal-build-mrsid $HOME/Geo_DSDK-7.0.0.2167
    would read:

Code:
    sudo gdal-build-mrsid $HOME/Geo_DSDK-VERSIONNUMBER
    J
    How to help yourself|Ubuntu Guide

* Think you've found a bug? Get it reported using apport-bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

yeah, I thought about doing something like this, but the way in which the new sdk works means that it isn't so straight forward. Previously after unpacking there was one folder with the number string so it was obvious what should be done regarding the dpkg. However, with SDK 8 when you unpack the downloaded tar.gz file to give you three different folders: Lidar_DSDK, Raster_DSDK, and examples. So I wasn't really sure what to do.

If you try and use the same command it comes up with this

Code:
    jvc@CF2:~$ cd Downloads
    jvc@CF2:~/Downloads$ tar -zxvf Lidar_DSDK
    tar (child): Lidar_DSDK: Cannot read: Is a directory
    tar (child): At beginning of tape, quitting now
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    jvc@CF2:~/Downloads$ tar -zxvf Raster_DSDK
    tar (child): Raster_DSDK: Cannot read: Is a directory
    tar (child): At beginning of tape, quitting now
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    jvc@CF2:~/Downloads$

BB
    Last edited by BigBaka; December 31st, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey,

I just took a guess and tried to adapt the previous tutorial to the new folders and came up with the following

Code:
    jvc@CF2:~$ sudo gdal-mrsid-build $HOME/Lidar_DSDK
    grep: /home/jvc/Lidar_DSDK/include/support/lt_base.h: No such file or directory
    grep: /home/jvc/Lidar_DSDK/include/lt_base.h: No such file or directory
    /home/jvc/Lidar_DSDK seems not containing an GeoExpress SDK 4.0+
    jvc@CF2:~$ sudo gdal-mrsid-build $HOME/Raster_DSDK
    grep: /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include/support/lt_base.h: No such file or directory
    Extracting GDAL/MrSID tarball
    Building GDAL/MrSID plugin
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of executables... 
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
    checking for g++... g++
    checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
    checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for g++ -shared ... yes
    checking for gdal-config... /usr/bin/gdal-config
    using /usr/lib/gdal17plugins as GDAL shared library autoload directory
    checking for lt_base.h in /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include/support... not found.
    checking for lt_base.h in /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include... found MrSID DSDK version 7.x or newer.
    checking for MG3ImageWriter.h in /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include/mrsid_writers... no encoding support.
    checking for MrSID JPEG2000 support... configure: error: MrSID JPEG2000 support requested, but libltikdu.a not found.
    Seems like the second folder started to work, but then crashed somewhere along the way. Still can't get Sid running in qgis.

BB

Beans

FWIW I took the expedient approach and simply rebuilt GDAL with the LizardTech 7.0 SDK. It loaded into QGIS and the MrSID files displayed.

Looking at the gdal-mrsid-build script it's clear that the only module it knows how to, or will, build is the MrSID module. If you want to build with the 8.0 SDK you might want to try:

$ gdal-mrsid-build /usr/local/src/Geo_8.0-SDK/Raster_DSDK

or whatever the appropriate path to the Raster SDK is for your installation.
    Last edited by unclemush; January 8th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Unclemush,

Yeah I also considered building GDAL with the LizardTech 7.0 SDK, however, I couldn't find a copy of the 7.0 SDK anywhere on the LizardTech site. It seems they only have the 8.0 SDK for download. Do you know where it can be downloaded from?

I previously tried to build with the 8.0 SDK using the Raster_DSK folder and got the following errors.

Code:
    jvc@CF2:~$ sudo gdal-mrsid-build $HOME/Raster_DSDK
    grep: /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include/support/lt_base.h: No such file or directory
    Extracting GDAL/MrSID tarball
    Building GDAL/MrSID plugin
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of executables... 
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
    checking for g++... g++
    checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
    checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for g++ -shared ... yes
    checking for gdal-config... /usr/bin/gdal-config
    using /usr/lib/gdal17plugins as GDAL shared library autoload directory
    checking for lt_base.h in /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include/support... not found.
    checking for lt_base.h in /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include... found MrSID DSDK version 7.x or newer.
    checking for MG3ImageWriter.h in /home/jvc/Raster_DSDK/include/mrsid_writers... no encoding support.
    checking for MrSID JPEG2000 support... configure: error: MrSID JPEG2000 support requested, but libltikdu.a not found.

Beans

I haven't tried to build v8.0 of the LizardTech SDK, but I may play with it later. The missing library may just be a path problem during linking.

I still have the 7.0 SDK if you would like a copy?

Beans

Digging deeply into the 8.0 SDK the 3rd-party library (libltikdu) needed for jpeg2000 support is missing. I copied the missing files over from the older 7.0 SDK and the JPEG2000 error went away. A new error appeared complaining the "libgeotiff" is required. I do have the libgeotiff development files on my system, but configure seems unable to find them. Another mystery to investigate.

Right now I'm rummaging around in the gdal-mrsid-build and config script files to see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

It certainly looks like there's a problem with Geo_DSDK-8.0 distribution package missing files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unclemush View Post
    Digging deeply into the 8.0 SDK the 3rd-party library (libltikdu) needed for jpeg2000 support is missing. I copied the missing files over from the older 7.0 SDK and the JPEG2000 error went away. A new error appeared complaining the "libgeotiff" is required. I do have the libgeotiff development files on my system, but configure seems unable to find them. Another mystery to investigate.

Right now I'm rummaging around in the gdal-mrsid-build and config script files to see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

It certainly looks like there's a problem with Geo_DSDK-8.0 distribution package missing files.
    I have the same problem (on debian squeeze and gdal 1.6).
    You shoud send a bug segnalation to the mantainer of the script (gdal-mrsid, or libgdal-mrsid). I can't because i couldn't install Apport and, for this, I can't generate the bug report.

In addiction, how I can obtain the old version (7.0) of SDK?
    Thank you

Beans

The problem is not that there is something wrong with the new version of the SDK but that the package structure and libraries have changed so that it will not work with gdal-1.7. Gdal-1.8 is being redone to work with the new SDK, see this gdal-dev thread for more information. In order to get mrsid with the current version of gdal, or qgis, you need an older version of the SDK and, unfortunately, only the 8.0 is currently on the lizardtech site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast