Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If you could ban any words from ubuntu forums, what would it be

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: If you could ban any words from ubuntu forums, what would it be

Quote Originally Posted by trinitydan View Post
    And virii... Well I could see a person making that mistake. "Viruses" just looks weird and the reasoning behind the plural is, well, confusing...
    That's not confusing, that's just a very elaborate way of saying that, whether you look at "virus" as an English word or a Latin one, there is absolutely no way you can get to a plural form "virii".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSuperHero View Post
    Bread, butter, and sandwiches. Because I'd like to see people construct sentences using references to food or "The bread and butter of our team" without those words being available.
    The stale dinner roll and hydrogenated oil spread of our team.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Would someone please fetch my donkey and hide it...... Isn't odd how some words which are innocent and perfectly fine in some contexts can have a different (and possibly objectionable) meaning in others?
    And no doubt you're a fan of the late George Carlin's "Seven Deadly Words" routine, not so much for the actual profanities but for his memorable: "Why is it you can say 'Don't prick your finger' and that's just fine, but if you say 'Don't finger your...'" (and, for obvious reasons, I won't finish that sentence here).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    And no doubt you're a fan of the late George Carlin's "Seven Deadly Words" routine, not so much for the actual profanities but for his memorable: "Why is it you can say 'Don't prick your finger' and that's just fine, but if you say 'Don't finger your...'" (and, for obvious reasons, I won't finish that sentence here).
    I like.....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Sucks. If you need to use a derogatory term to bring something down, then the problem is with you, not what you're cussin' at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Exclamation Re: If you could ban any words from ubuntu forums, what would it be

...try installing using wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    linsux
    I don't really mind reading M$, MerdOS (an Italian joke about MacOS which I've seen/heard some times) and Linsux being used in a "light" way just to have a laugh: also I used to type sVista (an Italian joke based on svista meaning mistake) at times but you know it's light-hearted.

It's people using them in a deceiving way that don't understand what we're here for: you don't gain either coolness/reputation or "open-sourceness" if you constantly use M$, ******* and such terms in a serious way, indeed you look less serious in my opinion (you don't need to bash an opponent to get your point through, and if you need so there's something wrong with the way you see the whole thing)..

People using these terms in a serious way punish themselves already without knowing it, no need to ban those words.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    OOOOH! And virii.
    I've been tricked into it myself once (saw someone using it and thought I was mistaken using "viruses") so I have to agree
    Last edited by julio_cortez; January 3rd, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.
    Oh, by the way, it may also feature some sarcasm. So take it easy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    Sucks. If you need to use a derogatory term to bring something down, then the problem is with you, not what you're cussin' at.
    My vacuum cleaner sucks. It sucks hardcore.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    My vacuum cleaner sucks. It sucks hardcore.
    EPIC WIN
    Indeed, it's one of the few things that the more they suck the more they're valuable
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.
    Oh, by the way, it may also feature some sarcasm. So take it easy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"Welcome to the light" and similar expressions.

Ubuntu is an OS, for goodness' sake, not a religion or spiritual belief system.

But maybe that's just me. I happen to be allergic to "package deals" - you know, the sort of thing where, if you decide to be a vegetarian, you are also supposed to sign up for pogo-stick transportion, life in a commune and hair shirts.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast