Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide the new guy!

Beans

Guide the new guy!

Alright well hello everyone, I'm the new guy here. I've spent a few hours reading and I'm really liking the idea of trying this all out. I have what I feel is a good grasp on the idea of how this will all work out, but I would like to make sure I'm not doing things wrong, and need some input as the info I'm looking for has been harder to find than a basic install.

So you know I'll be using:

(not sure if other newegg users can click this or not)
    https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=12132754

amd 1055t x6 processor
    ga-890fxa-ud5 mobo
    r5450-md512h vid card
    ocz vertex 2 60gb ssd
    samsung f3 1tb drive
    4gb ddr3 g.skill

I'm planning to run Win7 Pro, mostly due to using win my whole life. That being said I'd like to transition to ubuntu but will currently always need windows for work specific programs. This will be my first SSD build and from what I can tell with the windows aspect I need to turn on TRIM support to maintain speed over time, no big deal I'm sure I can manage that. Where I'm a bit confused is I don't seem to see that many threads about both win7 64 bit and ubuntu 64 bit being installed on the same SSD. I'd absolutely love it if I can get both OS's on the same drive, including programs etc, and keep all data (pics, docs, music etc) on the 1tb drive. From what I gather sharing of the files seems to be possible, but I'm not confident I fully understand the process.

Now to me it seems like it should all be possible, but I want to make sure I'm not going to sacrifice anything by doing so. If need be I'll grab a small extra SSD to boot ubuntu, or maybe a flash drive? Who knows. This will all be brand new hardware, and a blank slate. So being that you all clearly have more experience, if you could guide me in the best, most user friendly way to go. I'd sure appreciate it! I'm always around so if I need to post more info I'll respond within minutes. Thanks again everyone!

Beans

Re: Guide the new guy!

70 views and no ideas??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I don't think it's possible for others to access your wish list because the account user name and password are private for good reason. You could add links to the individual components .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I don't think it's possible for others to access your wish list because the account user name and password are private for good reason. You could add links to the individual components .
    I only posted it to show the items being used for the build, but then listed the only ones of importance below the link.

Beans

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. Are you wondering if Ubuntu will run right on the components you picked? Please restate.
    Have a nice day, Ray
    Dell Inspiron 1525 with Ubuntu 11.04 & Windows Vista. Intel Celeron 2.00 GHZ, 3 Gb of RAM, 32 bit, 160 GB Samsung hard drive. Broadcom BCM4312 Network connector

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't know much about whether this or that is better than what, but have you read Herman's site about dual booting?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/

That's the guide I used to get mine set up, though I'm currently having problems getting Ubuntu to boot, but I seem to be getting some help from a few people on here.
    When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.

Beans

I get the impression I should be fine hardware wise, I just posted the hardware so it was known. My question is regarding the use of the SSD. Does that make ANY difference as far as the installation goes? I'm not sure if being on an SSD will cause issues, or how to get windows 7 on ntfs, and ubuntu on ext4 on the same drive. Also will TRIM cause issues?

I'm essentially wondering what I should do, and maybe I should just use separate drives, or maybe I can just boot ubuntu from a 16gb flash drive or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Oh, okay sorry. I'm not sure because I have never used a SSD. I'm not sure if it's possible, but you have a hard drive on the hardware list so why don't you just put Ubuntu on there. If that is the case, I can guide you on how to do that with no problems for the most part.
    Have a nice day, Ray
    Dell Inspiron 1525 with Ubuntu 11.04 & Windows Vista. Intel Celeron 2.00 GHZ, 3 Gb of RAM, 32 bit, 160 GB Samsung hard drive. Broadcom BCM4312 Network connector

Beans

I guess I could do that, but I was hoping to have them both on the SSD for performance. The 1tb drive is (currently) for data as in music, docs, pics etc. But maybe I need to separate the OS's of different drives?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast