Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAS Files hidden in terminal suddenly.

Beans

NAS Files hidden in terminal suddenly.

Problem: Most directories and files are suddenly hidden in my NAS, even read-only directories. How is this possible??? This means, with terminal they are invisible but with Nautilus I have access. It started when I lost 10 years of e-mails.

What I did before it happened;
    - I changed from /etc/fstab CIFS to .gvfs because the speed of my NAS is 4x faster. (4MB/sec now is 18MB/sec.)
    - I opened my e-mails remote from a laptop and let it run thunderbird until the battery was empty.

Only the e-mail directory OUR MAIL is still visible with terminal, the rest is hidden... but with Nautilus I still have access to the files.

2 ACTIONS:
    - Backup of e-mails, software etc to local drive asap with nautilus.
    - ask people what can cause this???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: NAS Files hidden in terminal suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by mensfort View Post
    Problem: Most directories and files are suddenly hidden in my NAS, even read-only directories. How is this possible??? This means, with terminal they are invisible but with Nautilus I have access. It started when I lost 10 years of e-mails.

What I did before it happened;
    - I changed from /etc/fstab CIFS to .gvfs because the speed of my NAS is 4x faster. (4MB/sec now is 18MB/sec.)
    - I opened my e-mails remote from a laptop and let it run thunderbird until the battery was empty.

Only the e-mail directory OUR MAIL is still visible with terminal, the rest is hidden... but with Nautilus I still have access to the files.

2 ACTIONS:
    - Backup of e-mails, software etc to local drive asap with nautilus.
    - ask people what can cause this???
    What command are you using to view the files in the terminal? Explain what you mean by: I "changed from /etc/fstab CIFS to .gvfs....

Nautilus uses ~/.gvfs to mount SMB shares. This might be why you can still see the files using Nautilus.
    Last edited by capscrew; July 3rd, 2011 at 08:22 PM.

Beans

Explain what you mean by: I "changed from /etc/fstab CIFS to .gvfs....
    That would be my handiwork I'm afraid. In an earlier post instead of trying to find out why an fstab automount is slower than a nautilus mount I suggested he use Gigolo. Gigolo will issue the following command whenever the remote share is available:
    Code:
    gvfs-mount smb://server/share
    As you stated it will mount to ~/.gvfs/share-name on server-name just as doing it manually in Nautilus does. I also suggest a symlink to a "non-hidden" directory if this was an issue with any of his applications.

I am not sure how the terminal is being used with Thunderbird in this context.
    Last edited by Morbius1; July 3rd, 2011 at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think it is a user permission issue. .gvfs is hidden because it is supposed to be used by the system (root privilege) to allow easy searching and mounting of network shares. When you mount it manually, then it is still root permission, but then users can't get access because it was not mounted by the automounter in gnome virtual file system (gvfs). Does that make sense? So your files are probably still there, but have a root read-only attribute that needs to be changed back to default.

I have noticed the speed improvement as well, and I was tempted to set up some manual file shares as well, wondering what the consequences would be. Well, you found one of them!

The speed goes from "Dog-Slow" to OK, and perhaps limited by network bandwidth and switchgear. A 100BaseT network is doing well to achieve consistent 18 MB/sec transfers. Remember, it is sharing the network with potentially 254 other devices.
    Last edited by tgalati4; July 3rd, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I think it is a user permission issue. .gvfs is hidden because it is supposed to be used by the system (root privilege) to allow easy searching and mounting of network shares. When you mount it manually, then it is still root permission, but then users can't get access because it was not mounted by the automounter in gnome virtual file system (gvfs). Does that make sense? So your files are probably still there, but have a root read-only attribute that needs to be changed back to default.
    Says who? My .gvfs directory is owned by me. See here
    Code:
    capscrew@tools:~$ ls -al|g .gv
    dr-x------  2 capscrew capscrew      0 2011-07-03 16:54 .gvfs
    The directories mounted on that directory are also owned by me. These were mounted via Nautilus
    Code:
    capscrew@tools:~/.gvfs$ ll
    total 4
    dr-x------  3 capscrew capscrew    0 2011-07-03 16:54 .
    drwxr-xr-x 53 capscrew capscrew 4096 2011-07-03 16:54 ..
    drwx------  1 capscrew capscrew    0 2011-06-08 14:01 backup on trucks
    The share is //trucks/backup

I have noticed the speed improvement as well, and I was tempted to set up some manual file shares as well, wondering what the consequences would be. Well, you found one of them!

The speed goes from "Dog-Slow" to OK, and perhaps limited by network bandwidth and switchgear. A 100BaseT network is doing well to achieve consistent 18 MB/sec transfers.
    The conversion is 8 bits = 1 bite. 12.5 Megabytes = 100 Megabits. The protocol 100BaseT (Fast Ethernet) operates at max 100 Megabits per second (100 Mb/sec or 12.5 MB/s). You can do the calculation yourself here
    Remember, it is sharing the network with potentially 254 other devices.
    If you are using a switched network (no hubs) then all devices have a 1 to 1 conversation end to end. There is no collision domain. The only concern is end to end bandwidth. How many devices are on any segment is only tangentially important.
    Last edited by capscrew; July 4th, 2011 at 01:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by capscrew View Post
    What command are you using to view the files in the terminal? Explain what you mean by: I "changed from /etc/fstab CIFS to .gvfs....

Nautilus uses ~/.gvfs to mount SMB shares. This might be why you can still see the files using Nautilus.
    let me explain some detail: In my /etc/fstab I put following line : //192.168.1.40/Volume_1 /home/nas cifs username=mensfort,password=zhongguo,uid=1000,gid-100,rsize=57344,wsize=57344 0 0 In /home/nas, there I can see all directories and all files. However, in following directory i only see 2 directories from thunderbird, the last program used before all trouble start: ~/.gvfs/volume_1 on ch3mnas/ with Nautilus however, ~/.gvfs/volume_1 on ch3mnas/ also shows all files and directories. Normal software and terminal can only see 2 directories in ~/.gvfs/volume_1 on ch3mnas/, but in /home/nas I can see all.... but slower. does this help? (btw. most friends don't know .gvfs... is there maybe an alternative. I also don't like the hidden directory .gvfs)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by capscrew View Post
    Says who? My .gvfs directory is owned by me. See here
    Code:
    capscrew@tools:~$ ls -al|g .gv
    dr-x------  2 capscrew capscrew      0 2011-07-03 16:54 .gvfs
    The directories mounted on that directory are also owned by me. These were mounted via Nautilus
    Code:
    capscrew@tools:~/.gvfs$ ll
    total 4
    dr-x------  3 capscrew capscrew    0 2011-07-03 16:54 .
    drwxr-xr-x 53 capscrew capscrew 4096 2011-07-03 16:54 ..
    drwx------  1 capscrew capscrew    0 2011-06-08 14:01 backup on trucks
    The share is //trucks/backupThe conversion is 8 bits = 1 bite. 12.5 Megabytes = 100 Megabits. The protocol 100BaseT (Fast Ethernet) operates at max 100 Megabits per second (100 Mb/sec or 12.5 MB/s). You can do the calculation yourself here
    If you are using a switched network (no hubs) then all devices have a 1 to 1 conversation end to end. There is no collision domain. The only concern is end to end bandwidth. How many devices are on any segment is only tangentially important.
    Hi friend, For me, I am lucky that /etc/fstab can see all files and directories... maybe you should also try to add the NAS to that file. My network is 1000MB, but that doesn't mean I can do 90MByte/second... that would be awesome.

Beans

Red face Re: NAS Files hidden in terminal suddenly.

I add following in the configuration startup programs: gvfs-mount smb://server/share then with terminal I could do for 1 month: cd ~/.gvfs/volume 1 on ch3mnas/backup now I go back to the old (slow) situation (with line in /etc/fstab): cd /home/nas/backup Still wondering why .gvfs is very fast compared to /fstab. Even windows is faster, that should not be allowed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

let me explain some detail: In my /etc/fstab I put following line : //192.168.1.40/Volume_1 /home/nas cifs username=mensfort,password=zhongguo,uid=1000,gid-100,rsize=57344,wsize=57344 0 0 In /home/nas, there I can see all directories and all files. However, in following directory i only see 2 directories from thunderbird, the last program used before all trouble start: ~/.gvfs/volume_1 on ch3mnas/ with Nautilus however, ~/.gvfs/volume_1 on ch3mnas/ also shows all files and directories. Normal software and terminal can only see 2 directories in ~/.gvfs/volume_1 on ch3mnas/, but in /home/nas I can see all.... but slower. does this help? (btw. most friends don't know .gvfs... is there maybe an alternative. I also don't like the hidden directory .gvfs)
    Can you provide the output of this:
    Code:
    smbclient -L 192.168.1.40

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi friend, For me, I am lucky that /etc/fstab can see all files and directories... maybe you should also try to add the NAS to that file. My network is 1000MB, but that doesn't mean I can do 90MByte/second... that would be awesome.
    I'm sure your network is not 1000MB more likely is 1000 Mb aka Gigabit (B=byte b=bit). Network speeds are measured in bits not bytes. We are daling with a bitstream not a byte-stream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast