Thread: Confused about volume

Beans

Confused about volume

Just feeling a little confused.

My system volume works fine and all that. But what is the best balance between system volume and music volume? I'm not quite sure where to set Rhythmbox's volume level (around half?).

How do you have your volumes set up?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Confused about volume

Quote Originally Posted by jermza View Post
    I'm not quite sure where to set Rhythmbox's volume level (around half?).
    couldn't you do that from rythmbox?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Verbeck View Post
    couldn't you do that from rythmbox?
    Yes, but there are two volumes: the music player and the system. I'm really just curious where everybody else sets their music player's volume (so that it's balanced with the system's volume).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

My media players are at 100% volume.

I tend not to go making applications quieter unless I'm playing a game or something where I need the sound but also want to hear my music. Then I'll reduce the volume of firefox.
    Hi, I'm new here

...Please don't hurt me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jermza View Post
    Just feeling a little confused.

My system volume works fine and all that. But what is the best balance between system volume and music volume? I'm not quite sure where to set Rhythmbox's volume level (around half?).

How do you have your volumes set up?
    Well, basically you'd want to keep the source volume level as high as possible, and then adjust the final output level to change the volume. This gives you best audio quality (higher volume in the music player application gives higher dynamic range.)

So my recommendation is keeping volume in all programs as 100%, and then adjusting the master to the listening level you like. Only touch the application volumes if you have several programs playing sound at the same time and wish to adjust the balance between them.

Of course if you use external amplifier or active speakers you'd want to keep even the master volume adjustment on your computer as high as possible and then adjust the sound level from the amp/speakers themselves, once again maintaining highest possible sound quality as long as possible...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I set my volume at 80 % because I use an equalizer which increases the system volume. I have an external volume controls on the speakers and sub woofer that control treble , volume , and bass . I adjust these manually when listening to music.

If set system above 80% with the equalizer on or I get distortion. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/downl...stem-wide.html
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; December 30th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual