Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use devices like Nook or Kindle?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Anyone use devices like Nook or Kindle?

I was thinking to buy one of those, but have few questions.

What do you think is better Device from the several available? (I heard in Nook you can actually browse web?)

Can you load your own e-books into those devices? (without having to always buy from their sites).
    Last edited by Kdar; December 24th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Anyone use devices like Nook or Kindle?

1.) I think Nook is the best device even though I just ordered the Kindle 3 for Xmas (I think price was the biggest factor)
    1a.) Kindle 3 actually has a much improved web browser than Kindle 2 (not sure about Nook..someone help me with this?)
    2.) You can load your own e-books into both devices BUT only NOOK supports the .epub format. However, with Calibre you can easily convert into this format and many others!

I bought the Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi) only and the ultimate factors in my decision were the price ($139 I believe for Kindle 3 and close to $200 for Nook) and the battery life, which goes for about a month on a single charge with Kindle 3 (Wi-Fi disabled).

Sorry I don't have more info but I'm too lazy to perform a google search. I'm really upset with Amazon though because I ordered this December 19th and I couldn't get it before X-mas even with one day shipping! Goodluck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kindle is also e-ink, right?
    I saw Nook have two versions. One is e-ink and other is LCD, e-ink might be better since it gives bigger battery life. But how is reading experience with e-ink?

How is web-browser in Kindle? Can you quickly switch from book to web-browser and back? Only why I would want to use web-browser is for something like Google Translator, to look up or translate some words.
    Last edited by Kdar; December 24th, 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Kdar View Post
    Kindle is also e-ink, right?
    I saw Nook have two versions. One is e-ink and other is LCD, e-ink might be better since it gives bigger battery life. But how is reading experience with e-ink?

How is web-browser in Kindle? Can you quickly switch from book to web-browser and back? Only why I would want to use web-browser is for something like Google Translator, to look up or translate some words.
    The e-ink is 1,000,000 times better for reading than an LCD display. It's like looking at an ordinary book, and is does not strain the eyes at all which is a HUGE deal.

The web browser for kindle is OK, it'll work fine if you need to look something up, but don't buy it for surfing the web.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also bought the Kindle 3 or latest generation as they call it. It has a better e-ink display than the Nook does. The Nooks uses the same e-ink display as the Kindle 2.

You might want to watch a couple of review videos on youtube to see what you like. Also compare the features of each one before you decide. You really can't go wrong with either one. I went with the Kindle because it saved me a few dollars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Arex Bawrin View Post
    1.) I'm really upset with Amazon though because I ordered this December 19th and I couldn't get it before X-mas even with one day shipping! Goodluck

So you are upset with Amazon because you waited until the last minute to order? That is too funny. Do you know how many orders they have to try and get out at the last minute? Be mad at yourself .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy_Jeff View Post
    So you are upset with Amazon because you waited until the last minute to order? That is too funny. Do you know how many orders they have to try and get out at the last minute? Be mad at yourself .
    A lot of websites get plenty of orders around the holidays that can ship before xmas. High expectations FTL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My sister has the Nook Color and its not bad on eye strain at all. In fact I don't get eye strain at all from LCD's at all. I never find it a problem. I have used an iPad for book reading too and it seemed fine.

The Kindle's e-ink is pretty nice but I hate the refresh rate of page flipping. you get an odd blackout and then the page writes so it can be disconcerting at first if you are not used to the technology.

Personally I would get the Nook (or Nook Color). Both have access to Barnes and Noble and Google for book finding. While the Kindle can only buy stuff from Amazon.
    Its nice to have options.

Plus the Nook runs Android which is a plus for people who favor Linux.

I am waiting for the Notion Ink Adam to be reviewed fully and to be completely available. Sure its more tablet then e-reader, but I don't want something that is only a one trick pony.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just got a kindle for Xmas like 6 hours ago, and it is amazing.
    There is nothing I could possibly want more. I am able to listen to music, browse the web, and most important read books. I have never used a nook so I can not compare, but the kindle delivers. I guaranty that if you buy one you will not be dissatisfied.

The thing I enjoy most about it is the screen. It has a slightly long boot for each page, but only very slightly. My eyes will never get tired like they do with LCDs. I am pretty sure the nook is an awesome product as well, but I know the kindle is awesome!
    THE TRUTH HAS NO AGENDA...
    "There is no "Good" or "Evil", only Power and Weakness, and those who fail to see this."- The Dark Lord

Beans

The standard Nook wifi is $149 retail. It has a web browser and mp3/ogg player, and while it has no color, it's great for reading books. You can put your own ebooks on it, as well as any .pdf file. Switching between reading and web browsing is very quick and easy. It's also easy to listen to music while reading or surfing. The web browser isn't as good as Firefox or any other PC browser, but it works. The processor is a little slow, but mostly it's bearable. Reading a huge magazine with lots of graphics takes patience, but books with text go just fine.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast