Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I was bested by a 9 year old girl in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I was bested by a 9 year old girl in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by ronnielsen1 View Post
    Oh right. I still have to setup my parents phone/tv/dvd etc
    If that's what you still have to do, you're lucky. I still get my siblings, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins, asking me about everything from phones to $2000 laptops. Sheesh!!! I tell them all the same thing, but they just keep coming. READ THE MANUAL.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Hidden!

First thing I thought when I read this "1337 xkcd".

Beans

I remember coding very basic/primitive games on my C64 in BASIC when I was in 2nd grade. I have a friend with a 3 year old that is pretty lethal with FPS's.
    Last edited by donkyhotay; December 30th, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

That's pretty awesome, I met this 13-year-old once who did CAD-related stuff with Blender, that's about as close as I've gotten to meeting someone like that.

I learned just about everything I know about computers myself, my dad has always had a computer related job but he never told me, for example, that he used AutoCAD in the early '90s and studied software engineering. He hasn't taught me a whole lot however.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by dsavi View Post
    That's pretty awesome, I met this 13-year-old once who did CAD-related stuff with Blender, that's about as close as I've gotten to meeting someone like that.

I learned just about everything I know about computers myself, my dad has always had a computer related job but he never told me, for example, that he used AutoCAD in the early '90s and studied software engineering. He hasn't taught me a whole lot however.
    Yeah, the laptop was supposed to be for 2D animation as well. I always found that home schooled kids were kind of shut in, or in the case of my cousins, insane. She actually initiated the conversation by talking about Angry Birds.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Midget Mafia -- they go around hacking display computers at Best Buy.

Probably the same dwarf who made my local Best Buy close down when the power grid in the store mysteriously went down.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

my 5 year old cant even play well super mario world, since it requires lots of precise jumping (so i just figured out this game is for 7+ year olds...)

But for some strange reason he already could beat super smash brothers (which i thought was for older kids...)

as far as for programming my 5 year old kid cant read full words yet, so how the heck did the little girl got started at 4?
    Last edited by madjr; December 31st, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    as far as for programming my 6 year old kid cant read full words yet, so how the heck did the little girl got started at 4?
    genetics...
    Dear god, I would like to file a bug report.

increase Firefox startup speed and speed of Smart Location Bar:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1088094

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post

as far as for programming my 6 year old kid cant read full words yet, so how the heck did the little girl got started at 4?
    kids learn to read at different ages, I started to read around 3 or 4 as did my younger brother.
    I had to do it.

Beans

Children learn easier than adults. They just are not as creative (from my experience). In my humble opinion, I think the best time to teach someone programming is a young age, not only will it teach them logic, they will retain it well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast