Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Touchpad Vertical Scrolling does not work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Touchpad Vertical Scrolling does not work

If you want to get vertical scrolling without patching the driver, i believe the goal here will be to force it to take the "imps" protocol which allows for scrolling data. If there is any way to do it then maybe it will be to use the input controller boot parameters ( i8042=reset i8042=nomux i8042=nopnp) either a single one or combination, then modprobe the driver using "imps" protocol:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rv psmouse
    sudo modprobe -v psmouse proto=imps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pi/roman View Post
    You can comment out the inputclass section so you don't have to worry about changing the protocol in both sections if you want to try a different one. It seems like the inputdevice section is needed for now though anyway to make it recognized.

I have some more things to try to get it working.

First thing to do is remove the synaptics driver package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    Then run an update:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Then reboot your computer and see if your touchpad is picked up by the mouse driver. The goal is not to run it off the mouse driver but to see if it will at least be picked up by it as it was before. If it is not operable try some of these commands:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -v psmouse proto=exps
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -v psmouse proto=imps
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -v psmouse proto=any
    If it is operable, it should work about the same as it did before.
    Then reinstall the synaptics driver:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    Then reboot the computer again and see if the touchpad is operable. If not, then modprobe the driver again with proto=imps or proto=exps which are the mouse drivers. Use proto=any to try to get it to take the synaptics driver.
    If your touchpad is still not operable then install gpointing device settings:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings
    Check in the settings there to see if your touchpad will show up.
    Thanks buddy! The "proto=any" command solved my scrolling problem!

Beans

Just to take pi/roman's and vickychijwani's posts a little further:

I was having this problem on an Acer 7551G notebook; I did the following to load psmouse with proto=imps automatically.
    Note: The first line will disable your mouse so make sure you're ready to type!

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    Create a file named psmouse.conf in /etc/modprobe.d
    Code:
    touch /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf
    nano /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf
    paste this onto the 1st line:

Code:
    options psmouse proto=imps
    You can test the .conf syntax with 'modprobe -v psmouse' if you'd like.
    Reboot.

This ain't going to enable multitouch and other fanciness but scrollbar will work like it should.

Beans

No matter what proto=whatever I use, I never get the scrolling. I was able to get it to detect my touchpad as a touchpad, but as previously stated the mouse would go crazy. Anything else I can try? I tried everything in the thread, I have an alps touchpad.

Beans

sudo modprobe -v psmouse proto=any

worked for me

Beans

I have a windows 7, Acer Aspire 7741Z laptop running ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 from USB sticks.

The vertical scroll bar on the touchpad does not work in either version. I've tried the commands in the immediately previous post and didn't seem to work.

The cursor does seem to jump around more while running ubuntu than windows 7.

Have tried with boot DVDs with AV Linux 5.0 and also Knoppix 6.7. The touchpad vertical scroll works with both. I believe that the cursor jumping around is also somewhat better, but this is subjective. The vertical scroll definitely works.

Hope this information helps.
    = = = = = =

Found this which added vertical scroll to my touch pad. Amazing worked after all the configuration and term commands I tried:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/La.../FSeries/Natty

Keyboard and Touchpad

Basic features of the keyboard and touchpad work out of the box. However, the scroll function does not work out of the box at most recent check. If you have this problem, it is possible to fix using the following command:

echo "options psmouse proto=imps"|sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf; sudo modprobe -r psmouse; sudo modprobe psmouse

This will tell Linux to treat the touchpad as a generic PS/2 mouse with a scroll wheel. Scrolling on the right-hand side of the touchpad should now work. However, horizontal scrolling does not work.
    Let me double check, before I post - yes touchpad vertical scroll working.

The approach above to add vertical scroll removes the touchpad tab from the mouse properties. Worth the trade for me, but does seem like a "bug" work-around.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; November 22nd, 2011 at 08:11 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567