Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: laptop internal speakers don't work

Beans

Re: laptop internal speakers don't work - SUCCESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    You have different hardware, so that will not work for you. I'll need you to revert any changes you've made. Remove any custom entries from this file:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    Update your install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo update-grub
    Reboot. Now this to update alsa. Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Add the ubuntu-audio-dev ppa:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    Now install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)
    Reboot
    Check your levels in alsamixer.
    Code:
     alsamixer
    Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
    Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
    Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.
    Go to "System ->Preferences ->Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default and adjust your profile on the hardware tab.
    On the output tab choose the correct device.
    I followed all the instructions and now my internal speakers are working properly. I have no understanding of how these commands work, but they do! Also I notice in other posts some people having problems with simultaneous output from speakers and headphones, but when I plug in my headphones, internal speakers do turn off as expected.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: laptop internal speakers don't work

Lidex

I did as you suggested and ran the alsa script in the live environment and compared the result with that I get from the installed version. Lots of info there, as you know. No difference jumped out at me, altho I have to be honest and say I did not do an exhaustive line-by-line comparison beyond the first part that same to contain most of the data relating to system hardware and software.

Regards

Trevor

Beans

So I have to admit that I am brand new to using Linux, and don't really know what I am doing. My laptop just ran an update this morning and now my internal speakers no longer work. I tried rerunning the scripts that I used to make them work earlier but it is not working. i am only getting the following line:

E: Couldn't find package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-28-generic

here is my information again:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d3...c9c1561dbcabf7

thanks for your time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same here .. fire up the terminal and run command to remove latest kernel, then go to the Sound preferences and choose appropriate profile:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove linux-image-2.6.32-28-generic
    Next time, before you proceed with update, check via commandline, if the PPA Alsa modules are part of the system:

Code:
    $apt-cache search 2.6.32-27|grep alsa
    linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-27-generic - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
    linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-27-preempt - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
    linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-27-server - Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32 ALSA snapshots.
    linux-headers-alsa-driver-2.6.32-27-server - Header files related to linux-alsa-driver-modules-lucid version 2.6.32 server
    linux-headers-alsa-driver-2.6.32-27-generic - Header files related to linux-alsa-driver-modules-lucid version 2.6.32 generic
    linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-27-server - Ubuntu-supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32-27-server ALSA snapshots
    linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-27-generic - Ubuntu-supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32-27-generic ALSA snapshots
    .. as you can see, there are no modules for the latest kernel:
    Code:
    apt-cache search 2.6.32-28|grep alsa

Beans

Waiting for !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dthsapprntc View Post
    So I have to admit that I am brand new to using Linux, and don't really know what I am doing. My laptop just ran an update this morning and now my internal speakers no longer work. I tried rerunning the scripts that I used to make them work earlier but it is not working. i am only getting the following line:

E: Couldn't find package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-28-generic

here is my information again:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d3...c9c1561dbcabf7

thanks for your time
    This should be fixed in maverick, if you don't mind upgrading. That would free you from the work-arounds. Or try a newer kernel from here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

Beans

linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-28-generic*

Was released. I just update my system today

Beans

Hello,

After installing Ubunto 10.10 on my laptop, sound was not working properly. Thanks to Ubuntu forums and lidex, I could get it working. I am the OP of this thread.

I recently found out the sound is broken again. It only works on jack, ie, headset. The laptop speakers don't work.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=6a...24af54210a7348 has detailed information about the hardware.

At the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf I have
    options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad

How can I fix it again?

Beans

I updated the packages today. After rebooting it worked.

Beans

Hi all,

Waiting again for linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-29-generic-pae

Regards¡¡

linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-29-generic-pae - Ubuntu-supplied Linux modules for version 2.6.32-29-generic-pae

Ready to update
    Last edited by m3n3chm0; March 15th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123