Thread: Problem with NIC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problem with NIC

Hi People,
    Today I turned on my HP Pavilion dv6 3070eh laptop and the NIC's leds started flashing slowly and consistently. It was a bit weird, but when the OS loaded it was even weirder because I couldn't connect to any wired networks. First I thought the cable went wrong, but took another one and that didn't work too. Tried ifconfig eth0, it said no such device exists. Wow. Also booted Windows 7, encountered the same problem there too, even though device manager said there are no problems ().

Then, after like an hour of google and rebooting many times, it's working again! So, what the hell is going on? Right now it's ok, but I fear this is only temporary.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problem with NIC

Just have to ask...

Have you had any lighting lastnight, while you where away from your laptop?

The thing is there is a good chance that there may have been a spike in your power.

I offer this advice because I have had this happen to 2 devices, NIC's, in the one night.
    Losts of lighting then the next day the 2 pc's that when off would not access the net and then after turning all power at the power source and keeping it off for 10 mins, I then turned it on and booted up with out issue.

The funny thing is the uTorrent PC I was using all night was on all the time and nothing happened to it. - go figure?

Hope this help...?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problem with NIC

As I recall I shut down the pc correctly on the night before it happened. Anyway, thanks for the reply