Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: random clipboard paste when left-click focusing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question random clipboard paste when left-click focusing

When I'm typing in a text field of any kind, upon initially left-clicking in the field to focus, whatever was recently copied to clipboard pastes to the text field.

This has been occurring randomly in gnome since I've installed Natty..

I can't recreate this most of the time; when it does happen, it usually happens a few times in a row then it doesn't happen for a good period.

Its more annoying, really.

I haven't come across anything that could explain it so I'm left suspecting a bug. If it is a bug, what would be useful to add in the bug report?

Thanks in advance!
    "The Path of Least Resistance predetermines choices, according to one's understanding.." --Tofue
    --
    What the $BlEEp do I know??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: random clipboard paste when left-click focusing

Are you sure you don't accidentally middle-click? Or have both mouse buttons down at the same time (left+right works as middle click as well). Or perhaps the right mouse button is a bit stuck, resulting in left+right click?

If you have access to another mouse you could try if the same problem happens with it...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply, mcduck!

Sadly I have no middle button on my touchpad. Second Click Simulation is disabled as well as Dwell Click.. during upsets I'm careful to not 'unison click' and it still happens. I don't use mice on my laptop except for the touchpad, but haven't tried it with a mouse yet.

However, it seems to have upsets when text-editing applications like gedit and oo.org are in use. I've rarely seen it occur with just firefox running, and it also occurs when focusing into a terminal window. Again, this is intermittent for me, ever since upgrading (clean reinstalling) to Natty.

Any more ideas are greatly appreciated!
    "The Path of Least Resistance predetermines choices, according to one's understanding.." --Tofue
    --
    What the $BlEEp do I know??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm using Kubuntu 10.10 and I'm having a issue similar enough to join this thread, I think.

My left touchpad button periodically pastes random text when I click. I've noticed it in Firefox, Chromium, and OpenOffice, which leads me to believe it is a system issuse. I have only two buttons and I disabled the middle click function just in case I was accidentally hitting both buttons, but it is not the case.

Strangely, the randomly pasted text can be found in the clipboard, but I never cut or copied it there. They are things I've typed in searches and the address bar, but it seems the clipboard is copying and pasting with a mind of it's own.

A few other strange things are that occassionally a left click on my touch pad doesn't register and I have to press it again, and sometimes when I switch to a different tab on Firefox by left clicking on it, the tab will close instead. It has happened enough times that I'm sure I'm hitting the center of the tab and not the "X".

I don't know who to tell or where to post potential bugs. I'll keep tracking this issuse and let you know if I figure out anything else.
    Last edited by phil_bell; January 15th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Beans

I'm having the same random paste bug with my laptop touchpad (with no third mouse button)

Also i'm having problems when scrolling. if I hold down the left mouse button and move a scroll bar up and down (like when reading a long webpage) not keeping the mouse directly above the scroll bar, occasionally the mouse "drops" the scrollbar and starts highlighting what ever its over at that time - Very frustrating. its almost like the system temporarily decides the mouse button isnt still being held down, even though im sure it is!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro

I haven't figured out why the left mouse button randomly pastes things in the clipboard (Klipper in my case). Nor have I figured out why the clipboard stores things that I've typed, but that I have never cut or copied. I don't typically use scroll bars so I haven't noticed anything weird there.

However, since my last post I've turned on tapping on my touchpad. Since I've switched to tapping, there have been no occurences of random pasting.

I guess I could boot into Windows and try using the left button and scroll bars for a while to rule out a mechanical issue. The next time I use Windows I'll try to remember and post the results.

Beans
    Distro

I was not able to reproduce the random copying and pasting bug with the left button on my laptop running Windows XP natively. The left button works perfectly in Windows every time.

I noticed a few new bugs in Kubuntu. As joe606 noted, the left button releases randomly, even when I'm sure I'm holding it down. For me it happens with any action (scrolling, dragging a file, selecting text, etc.); although, it doesn't happen too often. To be sure, I booted back up to Windows XP and it does not happen there at all.

The other new thing I noticed relates to the random copying and pasting bug. I discovered that if I'm holding down the left button and dragging something, when I lift my finger off of the trackpad pasting occurs 50% of the time. I doesn't happen evenly, but out of 20 tries it pasted 10 times. It's pasting the text that I selected, even though I never copied the text.

I was curious to see if the same error happen in WINE applications. So I opened Microsoft Word in WINE and only the random left button release occurred, not the random pasting. Then I noticed scroll feature flashing for a split second. Once I noticed it (it's fast), I was able to see it about 50% of the time when dragging something and lifting my finger off of the trackpad.

Just to be clear, the above issues happen only with my laptop's built in left button and trackpad regardless of whether or not the tapping feature is turned on. There are no early releasing or random pasting issues when using a USB mouse or when using the tapping feature alone for dragging operations.

My conclusions:
    1. The left button releasing randomly is a bug with the Synaptics Touchpad driver in Kubuntu 10.10. (No issues in 10.04)
    2. The random copying/pasting that occurs when dragging with the left button and lifting off of the touchpad is also a bug with the Synaptics Touchpad driver in Kubuntu 10.10. It seems that combination triggers a middle click—pasting in Linux and scrolling in Windows (WINE).

My workarounds:
    1. Don't use the left button, use the tapping feature or a mouse instead.
    2. Turn off the middle click feature (if you forget not to use the left button like I do, at least it won't copy and paste things all the time).
    Last edited by phil_bell; January 28th, 2011 at 07:00 AM.

Beans

I have Ubuntu 10.10. The left-button of my laptop's touchpad is not only pasting random things, but also closing tabs in Firefox, when I did not left-clicked on the X at all.
    phill_bell, thank you for the suggestions.

Beans
    Distro

Someone needs to fix it before I go CRAZY

When I click [Ok] or other similar buttons, I have to double click in order for it to register...it's so annoying!
    Last edited by the-angry-scientist; February 9th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phil_bell View Post

The other new thing I noticed relates to the random copying and pasting bug. I discovered that if I'm holding down the left button and dragging something, when I lift my finger off of the trackpad pasting occurs 50% of the time. I doesn't happen evenly, but out of 20 tries it pasted 10 times. It's pasting the text that I selected, even though I never copied the text.
    Getting all the same problems as you are!!

Does anyone have a bit of software that will log mouse activity?? i want to log mouse events when this weird stuff happens... if focus is lost, but nothing logged, then it cant be the mouse driver. Similarly, if stuff is pasted with no mouse events, it cant be the driver... all points to problems with u10.10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast