Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gtk-window-decorator permanent fix?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: gtk-window-decorator permanent fix?

Quote Originally Posted by mechanizedmedic View Post
    this is what gconf-editor already shows.

aside from gtk-window-decorator --replace i haven't used compiz. when i installed 10.04 i enabled the proprietary nvidia driver but left visual effects "none". i double checked and it's still set to none.

changed the gconf entry to /usr/bin/metacity and nothing changed, even after a restart.
    Well, like I said, gtk-window-decorator is not a window manager, it's a Compiz decoration plugin so running "gtk-window-decorator --replace" would immediately switch you to using Compiz as your window manager (and load all confgured Compiz plugins as well, of course).

What happens if you open a terminal and run "metacity --replace"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

understood... everything works IF i use the terminal, fusion icon, or visual effects options to activate them. none of these changes survive reboot. (aside from forcing with an autostart entry)

i'm thinking that i have something wrong other than settings, either hardware or one of the many bugs in 10.04... i've had a couple of rare freeze ups in the last few months since i upgraded/reinstalled. ever since this decorator thing started last night it's been freezing every few hours. seems video related because the screen goes all wacky. <--that's a technical term!

are there any log files that i can check to verify my hunch?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd check the ~/.xsession-errors first, and then perhaps /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Of course syslog and messages might have something as well, if it's a driver issue. (both are in /var/log/)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thanks for your help mcduck! i never ended up figuring out the cause but i learned that kubuntu is the desktop for me!

Beans

the reason was you doing stuff without the knowledge what you were doing: "gtk-window-decorator --replace"

if you continue like that you will get problems with kubuntu too.

there is no os that you cant **** up if you enforce commands that when you don't really know what you are doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12