Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Why not Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Soon? 8/4/2010, so thats almost 3.5 years, and who knows if microsoft will extend support when that date gets close.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...=en-gb&C2=1173

If 3.5 years is 'soon' then you'd better only be using LTS versions of ubuntu.

The big corporate assembler only stopped shipping system with XP in october 2010....

BTW, I can still get OEM copies of XP, easy, its still on sale.
    XP SP2 is discontinued, I know that XP will be supported until 2014, but I highly doubt support will be continued. MS is pushing Win7 quite hardly.

To buy XP or a PC with XP is pretty much impossible here in Lithuania, EU. It is Win7 or Ubuntu (Dell) usually.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan View Post
    XP SP2 is discontinued, I know that XP will be supported until 2014, but I highly doubt support will be continued. MS is pushing Win7 quite hardly.

To buy XP or a PC with XP is pretty much impossible here in Lithuania, EU. It is Win7 or Ubuntu (Dell) usually.
    Microosft can push Win7 as hard as it wants, but when EOL (end of life) hits XP, theres going to be millions (not hundreds, not thousands, millions) of computer out there that could never run Win7 or vista. Microsoft really dont want any real percentage of them moving to linux/BSD/etc.

I cant buy a complete computer running XP here from any of corporate suppliers, but XP is still around, on shelves for sale. I wouldnt be suprised if there was a few place in Lihtuania that sold XP and/or systems with XP installed. You'd probably need to be 'in the know' or spend a lot of time looking to find them

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

People doesn't like OSes where you can remove GUI or sound or locale support by standard tools. Also people doesn't like console VC systems and autotools to install the software they need. People also like software available in their native language. And finally, people don't like the suddently discover that they cannot do what they want due to some software bugs which are opened for several years.

That's why people like to pay or steal quality products.
    If you've nothing to say, 'yes' will do just fine.

Beans
    Distro

Microosft can push Win7 as hard as it wants, but when EOL (end of life) hits XP, theres going to be millions (not hundreds, not thousands, millions) of computer out there that could never run Win7 or vista. Microsoft really dont want any real percentage of them moving to linux/BSD/etc.

I cant buy a complete computer running XP here from any of corporate suppliers, but XP is still around, on shelves for sale. I wouldnt be suprised if there was a few place in Lihtuania that sold XP and/or systems with XP installed. You'd probably need to be 'in the know' or spend a lot of time looking to find them
    I wouldn't think MS wants to support XP forever as well That does bring any cash for the company.

Beans

Mircosoft dont want to support XP forever, but also dont want linux/BSD (or anybody else for that matter) increasing installed base.

More machine running non-microsoft = more potential customers for those systems = less emphasis on windows.

Microsoft has only got the position it is in by domination of the installed base.

Beans
    Distro

Mircosoft dont want to support XP forever, but also dont want linux/BSD (or anybody else for that matter) increasing installed base.

More machine running non-microsoft = more potential customers for those systems = less emphasis on windows.

Microsoft has only got the position it is in by domination of the installed base.
    I get your point mate but if I were Microsoft I wouldn't expect my stocks rise because of old installations of XP which would need support years after years after years...
    I could be out of topic, sorry

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hur Dur View Post
    2.) It's a lot easier for the user to just double click any executable to run a program, instead of using chmod.

5.) Windows 7 automagically configures everything for you, whereas in some GNU/Linux distros require some configuring to have it to your preference.

6.) Windows XP is lighter than Ubuntu. Yes, this may be hard to believe, but they still make Windows XP, and it is lighter than Ubuntu. This is, of course, before you install a few programs and a virus scanner. But generally, since they have a lighter OS installed, the hardware does not need to be as powerful as more modern OS, which in turn saves the company money.

7.) Windows is geared towards the average user. Most GNU/Linux distros are for intermediate to advanced users who are looking to get the best out of their system. Of course, the larger distros like Ubuntu and Linux Mint are geared towards the everyday man.

2) They can go to propeties and allow executing the file(i always do).

3.) This is PLAIN wrong you can go with all the default options without any prefrence in ubuntu.

6.) Windows XP is a 9 year old version of windows and Lubuntu a tadays modern os is lighter than xp.

7) the posters asked "Why not ubuntu?" and not any other gnu/linux dostro.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hur Dur View Post
    1.)
    2.) It's a lot easier for the user to just double click any executable to run a program, instead of using chmod.
    Thats where viruses make a beautiful entrance!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't recall ever paying "hundreds of dollars" for Windows, even if you sum up every Windows-related purchase I've made since 2007 (when I got my first computer).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    I don't recall ever paying "hundreds of dollars" for Windows, even if you sum up every Windows-related purchase I've made since 2007 (when I got my first computer).
    Windows 7 is 199$ at least...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast