Thread: Can't boot from USB on Eee PC 900 (trying to install Netbook Remix)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Can't boot from USB on Eee PC 900 (trying to install Netbook Remix)

I just downloaded the latest version of Netbook Remix ISO and used the Startup Disk creator utility in Ubuntu to create a bootable USB stick. But for some reason, even with the first boot device in the bios set to "Removable Device", it doesn't take.

Anyone out there have this Netbook? Were you able to get Ubuntu Netbook installed? How did you do it?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't boot from USB on Eee PC 900 (trying to install Netbook Remix)

Power on the computer immediately peck on the esc key to get to a per-session boot menu and try booting the USB from there.

There may be a on off for the esc key prompt in the bios for this post out of the bios menu, look in the bios for this if this doesn't work right away.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Power on the computer immediately peck on the esc key to get to a per-session boot menu and try booting the USB from there.

There may be a on off for the esc key prompt in the bios for this post out of the bios menu, look in the bios for this if this doesn't work right away.
    This did the trick, but not at first. Apparently, the system didn't want to recognize the SanDisk 8GB stick I was trying to boot from, but it DID recognize and boot from a 4GB A-DATA brand stick I already had a copy of Ubuntu on. I will reformat this and put the netbook remix on and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip!!! Big help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    This did the trick, but not at first. Apparently, the system didn't want to recognize the SanDisk 8GB stick I was trying to boot from, but it DID recognize and boot from a 4GB A-DATA brand stick I already had a copy of Ubuntu on. I will reformat this and put the netbook remix on and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip!!! Big help!
    Makes that bios changing the order old school.

Does the sandisk have the U3 firmware?

Beans
    Distro

No, that SanDisk stick doesn't have anything like U3 on it, and I used the Startup Disk creator to format the whole thing so there wouldn't be any hidden partitions getting in the way.

Anyway, the A-DATA stick WORKED so I'll call this solved. All I needed was a stick that worked, and the ESC key.

Beans

This did the trick for me. I have an old eeepc 900 kicking around and figured I could use it for downloading torrents onto an external drive. I found it quite frustrating the the bios selection 'removable drive' doesn't recognize usb. Anyway, thanks for this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post

worked perfectly for me on a eeepc 900! thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.